63% of District of Columbia Voters Support Marijuana Legalization

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director April 17, 2013

Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 3.19.07 PMA poll released today by Public Policy Polling, funded by Marijuana Policy Project and Drug Policy Alliance, revealed that 63% of District of Columbia voters support taxing and regulating marijuana, similar to the initiatives just passed in Colorado and Washington. Only 30% of respondents were opposed.

The survey also found that 75% of respondents supported changing the penalty for marijuana possession to a civil violation, punishable by a $100 fine and only 21% were opposed to this change.

Considering this overwhelming support, and the fact that the District of Columbia allows for ballot initiatives, Washington, DC seems incredibly ripe for reform in the very near future. While the politicians who work in Congress seem to be tone-deaf to the growing call for legalizing marijuana, those living right in their backyard have overwhelmingly made up their minds that it is time to legalize and regulate marijuana.

You can read the full results of the poll here.

29 Responses to “63% of District of Columbia Voters Support Marijuana Legalization”

1. tim stephens says:

Who are these people that oppose regulation? Do these people smoke or drink? Do they speed down streets and hwy’s? I am glad that we are seeing some real change going on in DC and other states. The best line I heard off a talk show ” one day all you old fogies are going to die off and we will be left to make the change.”

2. Miles says:

In my opinion, the politicians who work in Congress seem to be jerks and idiots! Oh, I know there are exceptions, but the majority of them should be tossed out on their ears; starting with John Boehner!

3. Galileo Galilei says:

Remember how Bob Barr and Congress passed legislation to defy the will of the voters on a ballot initiative on medical marijuana.

I wonder if they’ll dare pull this anti-democratic, anti-federalism affront again with a future ballot initiative.

I wonder if they’ll do it and still lecture us about how free we are.

4. Bhonze says:

Do A survey in Mississippi; we have an initiative process also…

5. Bhonze says:

Do a survey in Mississippi, we have an initiative process. Let’s get the ball rolling!

6. Roland says:

If hemp wer legalized could someone design a single cylinder biohemp fuel motor for my basket three wheel bike or a industrial three cylinder biohemp fuel motor for civilian uses

7. John Malmo says:

This is brilliant! A pro-legalization poll result in Congress’ back yard!

8. RUT says:

GREAT LEADERS WHO CAN NOT ADMIT THEY ARE WRONG AND LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF THEIR PEOPLE AND THE FACTS ARE NOT GREAT LEADERS! They are going to have trouble walking back the non-sense that they have been pedaling all these years.

9. Dave Evans says:

Hahahahaha! Now the joke is on them :)

10. Evening Bud says:

This is great news. It’ll be interesting, should something like this pass, to see what Holder’s reaction would be, this being in his own back yard and all.

11. Galileo Galilei says:

Harry J. Anslinger testified before Congress that the main reason for making marijuana illegal was its effect on the degenerate races. He went on to clarify that when a black man smokes marijuana, he thinks he’s just as good as a white man.

Obama and Holder both seem to have this attitude. Why?

12. TheOracle says:

Is there going to be another Bob Barr?

Let’s say this passes. Will it get funding or which politician(s) will be the new Bob Barr, blocking it?

If federal politicians begin pro-legislation on this same issue it would not have to wait for the ballot. Fat chance, right?

Maybe there will be no new Bob Barr to begin counter-legislation to maintain cannabis prohibition. This may be the pregnant moment then when there is lesser to no opposition when no one opposed to it will draft counter-legislation either, giving birth to legalization.

When? Make it move sooner than later.

13. JAY says:

Ill just passed a mmj bill. One more State for the list.

14. Hunter says:

I thought we as the United States used democracy to solve our problems. If that is true, then how come many polls support legalization yet nothing is being done about it? It’s time politicians start listening to the voter.

15. james says:

Big enough to a win to destabilize the crumbling drug war.How much safe money would legal pot be in D.C. ?

16. me says:

Back in 1949, GM, Firestone and others were convicted were convicted of Conspiracy to monopolize interstate commerce when they bought out and dismantled over 100 electric surface transit systems across the United States. I foresee the day when something similar will play out regarding this latest Crime Against Humanity, i.e. the historically misguided Prohibition of Marijuana. And when that day happens, folks, if I’m not out on the line somewhere bangin the drum I’ll be glued to the set with a container of Cherry Garcia B&J and some MJ watchin the Congressional hard of hearings.

17. mexweed says:

Note that against these urban DC voters is ranged the regional “agriculture” bias in favor of protecting the tobacco oligarchy– just look where DC is located. Miles’ point about Boehner is important: the Speaker reportedly has TWO tobacco industry lobbyists on his Advisory Council. Until they break their ties with the Addictive Nicotine Pushers, vote against all Republicans, even nice ones like Rand Paul.

18. BLEE says:

Great news, how about us who got in trouble already and haven’t worked in 11 years. I’m a VET, college educated …but considered a drug dealer because I grew a 3 inch plant on my back porch just for fun. And yes, they searched my house and found NO POT! Do I want the government to take care of me…NO….but I have no choice. SC wont allow me to even get food stamps because of it. Legalize and expunge!

19. somedood says:

20. Ben says:

“somedood says:
      April 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

There is no real change till the DOJ and Obama finally say something about Washington and Colorado. I wouldn’t hold my breath either.”

Agreed – this is because obama leads from behind. Hypocritical choom gangster wannabe.

21. InnocentToker says:

Wow, so polling voters now actually has an effect on policy. It seems our opinion might make a difference but not by much. I think most of the support for change in DC is simply because they want to keep their benefits of office. Regardless of why they are starting to change attitudes toward cannabis reform, I will take any support offered but I still have no faith in our elected officials to ever do anything that does not benefit them more than it does us.

22. samwise says:

Isn’t regulating and taxing a good thing for the government? Couldn’t the collected taxes from legalized cannabis put a dent in the deficit? Just sayin…

23. InnocentToker says:

@samwise…

Of course regulating and taxing would be a financial gain but the flipside is the loss of jobs and income derived from prohibition. The machine currently in place is hugely profitable and the number of people employeed is staggering. Just look at civil forfeiture, the government can take your property, including your home, your car, your cash, regardless of whether or not you are convicted of a crime. It’s led to horrible abuses. All that money and control would screech to a halt the minute Obama and Holder condone reform. They have a vested interest in keeping the Federal status quo no matter what public opinion might be.

24. me says:

Have faith Innocent toker. The momentum has shifted. Legalization is no longer a fringe issue. America decried gay marriage at first, but the issue is more mainstream now and one by one states are falling in line. Of course the economic and political interests surrounding MJ are much greater. But, as the late great George Harrison once sang, ALL THINGS MUST PASS. And I for one will be voting next year with my feet as I make my way to Colorado to ski and smoke in January and bid good riddance to New York forever the year after that!

25. Mark I says:

You mean the legalization of cannabis would remove my life sentence for planting the seeds?

26. confused says:

ACTIVISM Start writing reps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. dmkt6256 says:

The legalization of pot would drastically change the balance of power in our country. Hemp/cannabis can be made into fuel quickly and easily and would put making our own fuel into the hands of towns and cities. The reliance on oil could be replaced with enough time. You may think that fuel from hemp can not possibly be as readily available as your corner gas station, but the reality is that we have BEEN TOLD lies. We should find a way to use this point to kick home the end of prohibition. Imagine a city that produces it own fuel and gives it away for free. We could give our odds and ends to a fuel conversion center. If everyone did this we could even fund the conversion of our reliance on oil in even the power grid plants.

28. Anonymous says:

Smoke’em out

29. nubwaxer says:

it has come to my attention that the nice white middle classcitizens of colorado and washington state conveniently opted out of the movement to end the war on drugs that is destroying the poor in the cities. now for their privilege they gave themselves the war on drugs is out of sight,out of mind.