• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director May 3, 2013

Representative Robert F. Hagan (D-Youngstown) has introduced a measure that would put marijuana legalization on the ballot before state voters. House Joint Resolution 6 would place a question on the Ohio ballot asking voters to approve allowing people 21 or older to purchase and use marijuana. Under this proposal marijuana would be sold only by state-licensed establishments and would be subject to a 15 percent excise tax.

“With billions upon billions spent on the war on drugs with little progress to show for it, it is time for more-sensible drug policy in this country,” stated Representative Hagan.

To be placed on the ballot, HJR 6 would need to receive a three-fifths vote from the legislature. The full text of the measure is available online here.

If you live in Ohio, please take a moment to contact your Representative and urge him/her to support this historic legislation! It is time to let the people of Ohio decide for themselves whether or not it is time to legalize marijuana.

OHIO: CLICK HERE TO CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE!

110 Responses to “Ohio Lawmaker Introduces Measure to Put Marijuana Legalization Before State Voters”

1. $mokey says:

So this cannabis has by far worked better for me then any Rx drug which all I have from them is this damn dependecy that has run me thru the dirt I have used medically for over 8yrs in CA and CO iam wheelchair bound with severe spasticity had to get a spinal tap and implant to aid in relief anyhow cannabis has given me more spasm relief then any 4 or more Rx pill combo they’ve tried native Americans used for decades why can’t we….I will no matter where or what law Ohio is my next stop!

2. Fireweed says:

I will make it a point next year to vote down anyone who votes against pot legalization. I say this as a long time pot smoker and long time professional in social services. There is research that demonstrates that marijuana acts as an anti-inflammatory, and more research that points to inflammation as the underlying cause of our worst chronic illnesses; diabetes, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, depression, other mental illnesses that are exacerbated by stress, cancer…these illnesses constitute probably 60% of health care costs, both in hospitalizations and medications. Other research demonstrates that long term marijuana users tend to be thinner and more active. Exercise is well known to be a major protector against most diseases of aging (see above illnesses). So, logically speaking, if people were allowed to smoke pot within regulations that ensure public safety, then those people would have protective factors against these diseases that are going to bankrupt our health care system (Obamacare or not)(It’s not Obamacare that’s the problem, it’s our unhealthy lifestyle). And if “those people” were going to have decreased occurrence of the above illnesses, then it would save significantly in health care costs. This does not begin to account for the additional savings from less use of the legal system, fewer people on disability (oh yes, the above illnesses are also major reasons for being on disability) So, conceivably, legalizing marijuana would be in the public’s best interest all around.

Oh, and I’ve said this before and I’ll keep saying it until someone does serious research on this: We now have abundant data on highway and traffic safety-accidents, deaths, violations, etc. We also have been doing an in vitro experiment with medical marijuana, in that we can compare states that sanction medical use of marijuana with states that don’t allow it, and compare these states with records regarding traffic safety. when I did a brief survey it showed states that legalized mj actually had a DECREASE in traffic incidents, while the more restrictive states had both a higher rate of alcoholism as well as higher rate of traffic violations.

so again, is this not in the public’s best interest? Someone PLEASE do research on this, do a paper, look up the articles I’m talking about, and let’s do this!!

3. Bbyumyum says:

People are dumb as hell ya let’s keep weed illegal so that way we keep having good hard working ppl gettin ransoms for no reason n loosing jobs for being high out of wrk u wonder why ppl steal,kill n shit n if ur really comparing alcohol,tabbacco,n Rex drugs to weed ur an idiot ppl die of liver failures rink n drive n kill innocent ppl tabbacco causes how many cancers last Tyme I checked weed don’t kill ppl it helps for good people that need it to feel ok in this economy with no jobs I hav a horrible temper,anxiety,depression,and back pain I don’t take Vic’s or Xanax for it I smoke d buds n it’s funny I’m not addicted to it I get randomed every month so I haven’t been able to smoke in a month now so if I was so dependent pretty sure I’d b in rehab right now like alcoholics are, or taking chantix to quit smoking cigs that has a thousand horrible side effects..u want more jobs there ya go legalize the shit n stfu u want debt to go away for the govt LEGALIZE!!!! I’ve had jobs n smoked before work,drove on it n I’ve never had a job incident or been in an accident where I was at fault so nice try with that bein a prob ppl that don’t want it legalized Are ppl that have never tried it or have done it once n got really high n didn’t like it u gotta do it a few times to get used to it to where it’s just a great high u like or u can b like my parents n say they smoked when they were younger but didn’t inhale but to them it’s still a bad thing if that makes any sense lol…anyway screw u haters n LEGALIZE!!!!!!!!

4. Whamilton says:

Marijuana is not a dangerous drug; consider alcohol as the most deadly drug available that kills more Americans than any other drug available. Legalizing would eliminate the street distribution and the street violence associated with drug dealing. If anyone is against it; do your homework. It’s a plant not a process of being distributed throughout the street. WISE up! The only gateway drug is underage drinking with low inhibition. This all started early in the 1900’s as a racist ban. Learn before making your choice! PRO-LEGALZING!!!

5. Joe says:

Leagslizeeee potttt

6. Joe says:

Heroin is the shit killin everyone not budddd

7. Traci Rawlings says:

We so need to legalize this in Ohio. I have a 24 year old son who suffers from Epilepsy and has a feeding tube due to the meds from his Epilepsy that make him not want to eat. He has to have such high doses that the meds are making him sicker. We just went to the Doctors last week for tremors that he is having and now have found out that he has Parkinson’s from the meds he has to take from the side effects of his seizures meds which is Haldol. I feel that the Marijuana is his only hope because all these dam meds are slowly killing him. I would love to be able to move him to Colorado but I don’t have the ability financially to do this. I feel they are not allowing me to be able to provide the help That will save my son by not legalizing this it is just crazy when you see all that it can do for these sick people. I could probably get him off all his meds if they would which is 26 pills a day. Its just crazy.

8. Nicole says:

I really hope It gets legalized in Ohio it would help me and my daughter with our medical conditions tremendously. Her with her sezuires and me with my rheumatoid arthritis and my lupus

9. Tom says:

Hopefully our state will follow Colorado and Washington state in the legalization of marijuana. Not only will this hopefully stop all of the incarcerations for a substance that is scientifically safer than alcohol in regards to abuse. People can drink alcohol and die easier then smoking Marijuana, the amount of marijuana consumption to be lethal is pretty high. Hyponatremia is easier achieved by drinking excess amount of water and lowering the amount of sodium (salt) in the blood. With legalization of marijuana also comes great responsibility. If warnings and commercials are available to educate about the hazards of consuming this substance as well as strict laws governing what we the people can and can not do while under the influence of the substance then I see no problem with it being legalized. I also can see no harm in this being passed, this will open up many jobs in a time of economic depression. The revenue created by the approval of H.J.R No 6 will only help with the lacking economy and also prison space will open up and saving a lot of the tax payers money. That extra money can then be used elsewhere to benefit our nation. Ohio is headed in the right direction and I have no doubt that we will legalize this with the overwhelming support of our citizens.

10. tammy says:

I will vote for this most definetly..alchol is way worse in my opinion. they never drug test for that and people go to work drunk all the time. they never go in there right after smoking. how dumb would that be..really america