• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director May 10, 2013

In a recent presentation given at the annual meeting of the American Association of Cancer Research, investigators from the university of California, Los Angeles provided the latest data reaffirming that cannabis consumption is not associated with an elevated risk of lung cancer. Below is a summary of the findings from The Oncology Report:

The study included data from six case-control studies conducted from 1999 to 2012 in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and New Zealand, with a subject pool of 2,159 lung cancer cases and 2,985 controls. All of the studies were part of the International Lung Cancer Consortium (ILCCO), an international group of lung cancer researchers with the aim of sharing comparable data from ongoing and recently completed lung cancer studies from different geographical areas and ethnicities.

Dr. Zhang of the University of California, Los Angeles, performed two analyses. One compared all lung cancer cases and all controls, regardless of concurrent or past tobacco use. Then, to reduce confounding by tobacco, she restricted the analysis to those who had never smoked tobacco.

… When compared with cannabis smokers who also used tobacco, habitual pot smokers had no significant increase in cancer risk. In an analysis of marijuana smokers that excluded tobacco smokers, there were no significant differences in any of the comparisons, including habitual vs. nonhabitual use; number of joints smoked per day; duration of up to 20 years or duration of more than 20 years.

The abstract of the presentation, which concludes “Our pooled results showed no significant association between the intensity, duration, or cumulative consumption of cannabis smoke and the risk of lung cancer overall or in never smokers,” is available online here.

Numerous preclinical studies have documented that cannabinoids possess potent anti-cancer properties, including the inhibition of lung cancer cell growth.

20 Responses to “Study: No Association Between The Cumulative Consumption Of Cannabis Smoke And The Risk Of Lung Cancer”

1. CR says:

Pharma lab stardate 2013: Oh poop, we found a natural chemical in a plant that can essentially can prevent cancer cells. The supervisor says “Hey do you still want your job son?”

2. John Doe, Sr. says:

Not only does marijuana help stop cancer from forming in the first place, it even helps indirectly by aiding people that have to suffer through conventional medicine’s treatment of frying you with radiation and/or poisoning you with chemo.

It also offsets the progression of Alzheimer’s by aiding neurogenesis in contrast with alcohol helping cause it.

Oh and it happens to be an incredibly useful recreational tool as well.

Also it helps by … etc, etc, etc.

3. JoeBillingsly says:

I dont drink, dont smoke cigs, dont eat vending machine foods-drinks, over 60 years old and smoked cannabis for the last 38 years. My doctor (who knows I smoke several times a week) just looks at me during my annual exam and says keep doing what you are doing and then sends me a bill. I am the only cannabis smoker in my immediately family and almost all have or had lung disease or cancer of some type. Maybe I am a miracle or maybe the miracle is in the details. Who can say for sure.

4. Oil says:

They should do a study on people who only “smoke” (really vaporize) good quality hash oil / wax. My money goes those people would have far less cancer and lung problems than non-smokers. I have a personal belief oil is actually good for the lungs… but I’ll wait for the studies to support that idea openly.

5. UK anonymous says:

The most important thing in this report for me is the fact that it is cannabis without tobacco. Many European smokers will read that and ignore the fact that they smoke tobacco with cannabis. I wonder if the research took account of bong smoking or blunts as well

6. Galileo Galilei says:

The original Drug Czar, William Bennett, was a nicotine addict. He also suffers from a gambling addiction and overeats to the point of morbid obesity. Yet he had no problem making his war on the rest of us sinners.

Cancel deaths are lingering and painful, increasing suffering and driving health care costs through the roof. We need more science and less ideology in public policy, or we all pay for it one way or another.

To thwart the advance of medical science is a crime against us all.

7. Miles says:

Both of my parents and all of my grandparents were diagnosed with cancer. All except my Father are now dead because of it. They all died in their 60’s but had to deal with it throughout their 50’s. They were all cigarette smokers and none of them tried marijuana even once and looked down on those who did; including me!

Now, as I approach age 60, I’ve been using cannabis since I was 15. All of my medical checkups show that I am in excellent health. I feel great and my only real problem is paranoia of law enforcement!

I sure hope lawmakers across this country come to realize the terrible decisions that have been made regarding cannabis. There is absolutely no way that it should be considered a schedule 1 drug and I think they know it. It’s really a matter of having the courage and ethical integrity to finally do the right thing and legalize it.

8. SourDo's says:

This is huge. Thank you for posting these amazing studies for all to close their mouths and open their eyes and ears.

9. Keep these studies coming! We still have millions of non believers and bloggers who write the opposite daily!

10. joe canfield says: