POLL: Essentially No One Believes Marijuana Users Should Go to Jail

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive Director May 17, 2013

Reason-Rupe has just released new polling data that revealed only a minuscule percentage of Americans believe that marijuana use and possession should result in jail time. When asked which approach they thought the government and law enforcement should take toward someone found smoking marijuana or in possession of a small amount of marijuana, only 6% responded that they should be sent to jail. 35% of respondents said that these individuals shouldn’t be punished at all, 32% responded they should pay a fine, and 20% said they should have to attended substance abuse courses.

The survey also found that 52% of Americans favor federal legislation that would prevent the federal government from prosecuting people who grow, possess, or sell marijuana in the states that have legalized it. Recently, Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) introduced the “Respect State Marijuana Laws Act” which would do exactly that. You can click here to easily contact your Representative and urge him or her to support this measure.

Full results of this poll are available here.

27 Responses to “POLL: Essentially No One Believes Marijuana Users Should Go to Jail”

1. Mike says:

So where do these polls take place I know about 200 potheads that can make a difference

2. Ben says:

This is almost good news…

“…only 6% responded that they should be sent to jail. 35% of respondents said that these individuals shouldn’t be punished at all, 32% responded they should pay a fine, and 20% said they should have to attended substance abuse courses.”

===

Legal or criminalized???

All this middle crap about FINE maintains it as a worthy pursuit of our Dept o’ “Justice” in order to generate revenue. And the Substance abuse courses are a joke for reasonable use of cannabis or alcohol. They ONLY exist during work hours, and don’t do shit —> UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO CHANGE WHATEVER THEY ARE IN TO.

=====

On the bright side, thanks to the efforts of NORML and such people/organizations, things are starting to change.

Prohibition of cannabis has proven to be a hypocritical, counter-productive, disaster of a cancer on our society.

Time for America to shake off this reefer madness nonsense and get with the facts.

Support NORML and make your voice heard!
      We are now the VISIBLE majority-
      and we WILL win this fight.

(Just polish up whatever you communicate so it really helps the cause.)

3. the-latchkeykid says:

So I guess the silent 27% of those who said to leave them the F**K alone can be added to the 35% for a grand total of the nation in support of being left alone for partaking of a harmless plant, alright lets give it back to the people yeah!!

4. OldGuy says:

Great, another poll that is in our favor. 52% on a previous one, 65% on the one just before this and now 84% oppose us being caged.

There is only one little problem with all these opinion polls. Our opinions dont matter. The opinions that do matter are not in support of our opinions…yet.

I know they are changing slowly slowly slowly, but I feel that is so “they” can get into a position to make a profit off reform like they have off prohibition. No one in Washington does anything unless it benefits them and theirs in some way or another.

Dont give up the fight but just be very aware that “they” dont give a damn about us or our opinions and will not move an inch until they get all their dollars in a row. Do not let down your guard ever.

5. THIS IS A LIE ! Attorneys, prison guards, liquor industry, Pharmaceutical Companies, bribed politicians all think Pot heads should go to jail .

6. Jody Jackson says:

I am probably going to jail for the first offense I have ever committed, in the state I was born and raised, in the only county I have ever worked and lived. Game warden smelled pot on me after he finished a water safety check when i was fishing and everything was legal, pulled me to the side and held my hands behind my back, and asked me to go ahead and tell him where it was at, little over a 1/4 in my pocket, not in plain view, so I went ahead and told him. Because of the Citation and no arrest law that was passsed, he didn’t arrest me, and cited me instead.At the bottom of the citation, where it says when and at what courthouse i would have my case, it was left blank. 2 months of me calling the courthouse and no one there could tell me anything i went to a lawyer for free consultation, he told me i had a warrant out for my arrest, so i had to take off work,turn myself in, then get bailed out (bail was set at $1000, and the 10% didn’t meet the bailbonds minimum, I had to pay $265, and I wouldn’t get that back)
      after that I finally had a court date. At court they offered a court appointed lawyer, but i had to prove i was disabled (this didn’t sound right to me)Anyways they read the charges against me and said I Had .51 Ounces…. i know it wasn’t that much… and that I was facing 180 Days and up to $2000 fine. The gave me 9 months deferred adjudicated probation, 347.00 court costs, 200.00 fine, 125.00 Drug offender class,$60/Month (9 mths $540) supervision fee, and for each drug test they give me $9… plus 80 hours community service (waived if i paid my Fine and court costs within a month). I have to have a travel permit renewed every 30 days to work (i was working out of state).I am on my 4th month in, $60 ahead on my payments, and told them i would fail my urinalysis for cannabis, so they assigned me to a drug addiction assessment,(another $50). So next urianalysis i fail I will be going to jail for up to 6 months, and also have my drivers license taken for a year. Born and raised here, and as soon as this is over I am leaving everything here and taking my family somewhere that people have more sense. Was watching and praying HB 184 would pass, but it looks like its only going to apply to kids 21 years and younger (im 27). God Get me out of Texas PLEASE!

7. Jody Jackson says:

No one should go to jail for something less lethal than Alcohol.

8. kenny says:

I agree with Mike here…. I know a ton of pot smokers. Where do the polls take place?

9. Miles says:

I believe a correction is needed in this article. The fact is that no decent person believes a marijuana user should go to jail.

Thus, it is clear that there are many “serving” in our Govt that are NOT decent! They need to go the way of the dinosaurs!

Are you reading this John Boehner and Joe Biden?

10. grandma3d says:

Duhh! Anyone with an ounce of common sense would agree it is useless and too costly to keep putting people in jail, just because they want to smoke Pot! They are destroying people’s lives! That has to stop immediately!
      If people only realized this miraculous herb,and the many health benefits of Marijuana. I have a lot of problems with my eyes, glaucoma, cataracts, and astigmatism. I get so much more relief for my eyes when I smoke pot, than the drops my doctor gave me. Plus it helps my depression, way beyond what the drugs I get from my medical doctor. My mood immediately changes, from sad to happy. I stop worrying and forget what I am depressed about.