New York: The Hempire State?

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director May 20, 2013

Marijuana law reform is gaining some serious momentum in New York as we approach the end of this year’s legislative session.

Recent polling data released by Siena Research Institute revealed that 82% of New Yorkers support the medical use of marijuana. Fortunately for New York lawmakers, they can take action to address this issue that’s supported by an overwhelming majority of their constituents. Medical marijuana legislation is currently pending in both Houses of the New York Legislature and these measures have been gaining substantial political support. This legislation is expected to be debated by elected officials in the coming weeks. If you live in New York, click here to quickly and easily contact your state politicians and urge them to support this important legislation.

In addition to medical marijuana, it seems that full legalization will also soon be debated. State Senator Liz Krueger announced her intentions to introduce legislation that would legalize the recreational use and limited cultivation of marijuana. The measure would also allow for the commercial sale of marijuana at retail outlets regulated by the New York State Alcohol Authority.

“It is my intention as a New York State senator to soon introduce a law that would actually decriminalize, regulate and tax marijuana in New York,” stated Sen. Krueger.

NORML will update you when this legislation is introduced.

24 Responses to “New York: The Hempire State?”

1. @yessickart says:

cool beans jack. get er done, from TN , normlize it. 100,000,000 masterminds, all at the same time. peace.

2. jimmy says:

State Senator Liz Kruger should be commended for her announced plans to introduce legislation that is at least as progressive as has already passed in Colorado and Washington. Kudos. You have my vote for state senate as a NY resident.

3. TwistedSchism says:

Finally it’s my states turn !!

4. Gweedo says:

This is outstanding! I am a recently new New Yorker, so I am incredibly excited to hear this news. I will definitely go ahead and look up my representatives and let them know how they can make this great state even greater.

5. Miles says:

God Bless you Liz Krueger for showing intelligence and compassion regarding marijuana. I’m so very happy that at least a few of our Senators are showing a willingness to part from the stupidity and arrogance of the past! However, it is truly sad that most senators and congressmen continue their idiotic ways… They need to be voted (or thrown) the hell out ASAP!

Why can’t we, as a democratic nation, simply decide to end the madness and destruction that has been caused by marijuana prohibition?

Answer: Greed, ignorance, arrogance…

I only hope that more of our elected officials come to realize the incredible harm that has been, and continues, because of marijuana prohibition and find the courage and integrity to do something to help end it.

Senator Liz Krueger – SALUTE!!!

6. Yo when Alabama gonna make a move? We now know it’s not the “demon weed” it’s the best and most useful plant know to mankind!!

7. Christopher says:

Best Birthday Present Ever! Thanks New York!

8. King Kobra says:

Good news for NY. I’m right across the border in PA, perhaps it’s time to move 😉

9. A Voter says:

Please will everyone call their representative.
      Tell them you are just like me, a Voter.
      It might work.
      End the drug war. End it now.

10. MrFlippers says:

This is some great news. As a native upstate New Yorker myself, I’ve been waiting for the day when we finally do the thing we pride ourselves in and seriously consider taking that final step to join a number of other progressive states that beat us to the punch. It’s a sign of things to come!