Even More Science Suggesting That Cannabinoids May Halt Diabetes

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director June 10, 2013

Preclinical study data published online in the scientific journal Nutrition & Diabetes reports that tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) — a naturally occurring analogue of THC — possesses positive metabolic effects in animal models of obesity.

British researchers assessed the effects of THCV administration on dietary-induced and genetically modified obese mice. Authors reported that although THCV administration did not significantly affect food intake or body weight gain in any of the models, it did produce several metabolically beneficial effects, including reduced glucose intolerance, improved glucose tolerance, improved liver triglyceride levels, and increased insulin sensitivity.

Researchers concluded: “Based on these data, it can be suggested that THCV may be useful for the treatment of the metabolic syndrome and/or type 2 diabetes (adult onset diabetes), either alone or in combination with existing treatments. Given the reported benefits of another non-THC cannabinoid, CBD in type 1 diabetes, a CBD/THCV combination may be beneficial for different types of diabetes mellitus.”

Last month, Harvard Medical School researchers published observational data in The American Journal of Medicine reporting that subjects who regularly consume cannabis possess favorable indices related to diabetic control as compared to occasional consumers or non-users of the substance. Writing in an accompanying commentary, the journal’s Editor-in-Chief stated: “These are indeed remarkable observations that are supported, as the authors note, by basic science experiments that came to similar conclusions. … I would like to call on the NIH and the DEA to collaborate in developing policies to implement solid scientific investigations that would lead to information assisting physicians in the proper use and prescription of THC in its synthetic or herbal form.”

Observational trial data published in 2012 in the British Medical Journal previously reported that adults with a history of marijuana use had a lower prevalence of type 2 diabetes and possess a lower risk of contracting the disease than did those with no history of cannabis consumption, even after researchers adjusted for social variables such as subjects’ ethnicity and levels of physical activity.

Previously published preclinical data also indicates that the administration of cannabidiol (CBD) halts the development of type 1 (juvenile) diabetes in mice genetically predisposed to the condition.

Full text of the study, “The cannabinoid ?9-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) ameliorates insulin sensitivity in two mouse models of obesity,” is available online here.

30 Responses to “Even More Science Suggesting That Cannabinoids May Halt Diabetes”

1. Diana Rix says:

I was taking THC orally, at night only, for back problems and after about 3-4 wks I started feeling really crummy. It continued for about 2 months when it dawned on me to take my blood sugar. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for about 3 years and have been on Metformin 2 times a day. After testing my blood I found that it was extremely low so I cut my Metformin down to 1/2 a day, and now I take no Metformin and my blood sugars are 130 on waking and around 102 during the day, as long as I don’t skip meals. It drops really low if I don’t eat. I haven’t felt this good in 3 years. My energy is back, i’m not depressed and I’m starting to lose weight. All from only taking a small amount of oral THC in the evenings. I don’t know if vaping or smoking it has the same effect but the oral has made a huge difference in my life. Wish the docs would listen!! I’m going to try the CBD oil instead of the THC to see if it will continue as the THC has.

2. Caroline says:

I have suffered from type 2 diabetes from the past few years and i am 64 years but no cure until when i heard about cannabis oil and its fast curing effectiveness for diabetes, cancer, seizures and many more.I was directed by a friend of my sister who have used the cannabis oil to cure her type 1 diabetes and she got the cannabis oil from the UK and she gave me an email contact ukcancerresearchcentre@gmail.com and i was desperately in need of medication for treatment and i bought the cannabis oil from the centre with instruction on how to use it,I started the medication oil immediately and after taking the oil as prescribed, it really worked like a magic and i was surprise with the fast effectiveness and i was totally cured of diabetes. I so happy now that i am free from diabetes

3. Sherrie says:

I’m not interested in being high but would like to try anything else to lower my blood sugar besides pharmaceuticals. Is there another form ie: eating the seeds or oil that is not $200 a month? Also how do you know how much oil to ingest? CBD is all I can find and it’s super expensive.

4. Linda Wade says:

Where can I purchase Medical Marijuana for my type 2 diabetes. I’m out of control, please help!!

5. John Max says:

GW Pharma thinks that marijuana may benefit those with diabetes. The pharmaceutical company completed a pre-clinical trial already on the GWP42004, a cannabis-based drug. In the animal study, THC in low doses was given to the mice. They gained less weight and were more active. When the THC and CBD were combined, the good cholesterol levels in the mice rose and the bad cholesterol fell. GW Pharma then conducted a test on humans that showed the drug may help people with type II diabetes by improving fasting glucose levels and improving pancreatic cell function. It may also help to lower blood pressure. The pharmaceutical company may not market marijuana as a diabetes medication anytime soon, but they will be conducting a phase 2 trial next year.

6. Sylvia says:

Lydia. ..I am also very interested in what strand u are using. Hope you can elaborate and share with those of us desperately seeking answers!

7. tony says:

hi lydia, hoped we could maybe have a chat about pot and your type1. my son (14) was diagnosed with T1 4 months ago and of course i’ve not stopped researching since. hope to hear from you, Tony.

8. Jackie says:

What kind of pot would work the best for a type 1 diabetic that hust wants to lower their blood sugar levels but not increase hunger?

9. Edwina Whack says:

Hello if u eat before u smoke that will help a lot, or if u have the Will power just don’t eat.

10. joe smoe says:

Just curious. when i got some, im smoking it all day. im also eating everything (esp. sugary sweets) that i can get my hands on. this is why i dont buy the stuff anymore because if i get a sack, then im 10lbs heavier within a week. doesnt anyone else here have the same problem?