Colorado: Governor Signs Law Regulating State Hemp Production

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director June 14, 2013

Governor John Hickenlooper has signed legislation, Senate Bill 241, into law creating a new program within the Department of Agriculture to oversee the regulation of commercial hemp production. Hemp is a distinct variety of the plant species cannabis sativa that contains only minute (less than 1%) amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Senate Bill 241 classifies cannabis possessing no more than three-tenths of one percent THC as an agricultural commodity and establishes a 9-member committee within the state Department of Agriculture to oversee the creation of regulations governing the licensed cultivation of hemp for commercial and research purposes. The Department must adopt regulations for the new program no later than March 1, 2014.

Unlike similar laws enacted in other states, SB 241 does not mandate farmers seeking state-issued hemp cultivation licenses to also seek federal approval. The federal Controlled Substances Act makes no legal distinction between marijuana and industrial hemp.

Federal legislation, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013, to amend the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana is currently pending in the US Senate and House of Representatives and has been sponsored by prominent politicians such as Senators Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell. You can click here to write your federal officials in support of this legislation. Recent efforts to attach this legislation as an amendment to the US Senate Farm bill were unsuccessful.

The United States is the only developed nation that fails to cultivate industrial hemp as an economic crop, according to the Congressional Resource Service.

8 Responses to “Colorado: Governor Signs Law Regulating State Hemp Production”

1. TheOracle says:

Congratulations, Colorado! Farmers don’t have to seek permission from the feds to plant corn or tomatoes. Hopefully, after the federal prohibition is finally lifted farmers won’t even have to have a state license anymore. Federal politicians, not all but for the most part, are a bunch of fuckups. It’s just one cluster fuck after another when it comes to cannabis, and boy do they enjoy giving the cannabis community a fucking every chance they get! Congress can’t get anything right these days. Obama is now on my shitlist. Hey Barry, don’t have your surrogates ask me to do anything for you or donate any money to your party or its causes. I’m done sticking up for you. I’m done donating to any of your causes. Republicans and Democrats love weed. Too bad you fucked up things for whomever the Democrat is who wants to follow you as far as money from this member of the cannabis community is concerned. Maybe some of your Choom Gang pals need to be dragged out of your past to tell some stories to the mainstream about you, unlikely as it is because you could use your office to make their lives miserable or even make them disappear, probably got the NSA keeping tabs on them so as it is.

2. rosko says:

I am currently homeless and unemployed and got stuck with a court apointed attourney…..I just got sentanced to 18 months probation 1000$ fine 10 days in jail 80 hrs community service for possesion of more than 150 grams of medicine…. I had the paperwork from the doctor but it was not time dated and stamped from the post office when I got arrested and have since got my medical card…they are treating me like a criminal whem obviously I am not…here is my question … my probation rules say That I am not allowed to use any drugs unless they come with a doctors prescription which I have…but then they contradict this law with another rule saying I have to follow state county and federal laws .. so at a federal level my medical script is concidered illegal … I dont drink use scientist made drugs use meth smoke cigs or any of that crap… I use medical herb for severe pain in my back and knee andI am not going to go 18 months in chronic pain without any meds…. I know for a fact that it is illegal to prevent someone from taking prescription meds so how do I go about my rights as a medical patient being denied my medicine illegally … I cant go 18 months in severe pain but risk going to jail. Somebody please help me apeal this… lawyer pro bono would be awesome.. someone who is not afraid oc confronting our corrupt system

3. Paulpot says:

The irony of hemp farming is that not only are they two different plants with different properties, but you cannot grow hemp and marijuana in the same area. Hemp is a single stalked, tall hermaphrodite plant. Marijuana is a shorter, bushy plant of separate sexes. The male flowers of the hemp would fill the marijuana buds with useless seeds, seriously reducing the value of the buds. Cannabis is pollinated by the wind and the pollen can travel a long way.
      Less likely that marijuana would pollinate a hemp crop but if it did the hemp farmer might not be so happy about that either. The seeds would not be usable for growing as the hemp strain needs to be kept pure as well.
      So if hemp were legal it would be very difficult, even impossible to grow marijuana within several miles at least of the hemp crop. A large hemp growing region would in effect be rendered free of marijuana growers as it would not be possible to grow quality buds there.
      In other words, when the police criticize hemp they are really saying they know nothing about hemp and marijuana and they don’t want to know and they don’t want you to know.
      End the drug war.

4. Matt W says:

Here is a response I got from Iowa senator Charles Grassley regarding hemp:
      “Over the years, many people have expressed the view that marijuana should be legalized for several purposes, including for agricultural purposes. However, I disagree with this view. Marijuana is illegal because it is dangerous. When you smoke marijuana, or use any other drug, it changes your brain. It changes the way you think, your ability to learn, and how well you can remember. Making marijuana a legal drug will not change any of this. The laws granting the federal government the authority over the movement and sale of these dangerous substances is well established and has been thoroughly reviewed by the courts.

Cannabis sativa is a tall, Asian herb known also as hemp, and best known for its psychoactive properties. The name “hemp” is also used to refer to a wide variety of fiber-bearing plants. Other plants that are part of the hemp family include Sunn hemp (Crotalaria juncea), a fiber plant harvested in India and other parties of Asia. Abaca or Manila hemp (Musa textilis) grown in the Philippines and other Pacific Islands; Mauritius hemp (Furcraea gigantean) grown in Africa; New Zealand hemp (Phormium tenax); India hemp (Corchorus capsularis), also known as “jute;” various forms of sisal (Agave sisalana) grown in Africa and the West Indies; and Cuban or Mexican sisal (Agave fourcroydes). Today, all of these fibers are used primarily in the manufacturing of rope and twine.

While the various forms of hemp are still being grown and used in less developed countries, except as a novelty item, hemp, for anything other than garden twine or burlap, cannot compete. Other than as a psychotropic drug, hemp has not proved to be a viable crop in any nation where its production is legal. And other than the profits that could be easily made by selling true hemp to those wanting to use marijuana to get high, no evidence exists that legalizing marijuana will provide any growth to the legitimate economy. It should be noted that true hemp (Cannabis sativa) is the only type of hemp fibers that contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Due to the greater potential for abuse when compared to the possible uses and benefits, I cannot favor promoting cannabis sativa as a legitimate alternative crop. It seems that the main reason hemp is being put forward as a legitimate crop is to promote the legalization of marijuana. That is something I cannot support.

Thank you again for contacting me. I hope you found this information helpful. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
      Chuck”

It blows me away that he can make claims like that, especially when hemp production used to take place here before prohibition.

5. Dave Evans says:

Wow. Did Senator Chuck just explain how utterly without knowledge he is? “It changes how you think.” Hmm, wow chuck. Did you know the going to school also, “changes the way you think.”? And that is a good thing, you clueless fucking moron?

Did he suggest people are going to start consuming rope if it is made from Cannabis? Is this dude on crack? I’ve noticed people on coke say a lot, but it never amounts to anything coherent…

6. Ray says:

YOU SIR ARE AN ARSE!!!!!

7. Laurence says:

you can’t stop the future

8. Duppy1111 says:

Hey Matt W, live and learn and love my friend…

Hemp (from Old English hænep) is a commonly used term for varieties of the Cannabis plant and its products, which include fiber, oil, and seed. In many countries regulatory limits for concentrations of psychoactive drug compounds (THC) in hemp encourage the use of strains of the plant which are bred for low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content or otherwise have the THC removed.[1] Hemp is refined into products like hemp seed foods, hemp oil, wax, resin, rope, cloth, pulp, paper, and fuel.

That’s straight out of Wikipedia… Hemp was the number one producer of paper on the planet at one point in time… But rich political assholes with long rich bloodlines wanted to make more money off of cotton and trees…Make more room for agriculture… Hemp is one of the greatest gifts mankind has ever received, And the hemp you grow, to produce all the things listed above in the definition, does not, will not, and cannot ever get you high no matter how much of it you smoke.