NORML Guest Column On CNN’s Frontpage

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director August 10, 2013

(CNN) — Despite decades of propaganda from marijuana prohibitionists, a majority of the American public has indeed said “enough” to the policies of cannabis criminalization. And no amount of fear-mongering is going to change this fact.

Writing in a just-published report by the Brookings Institute, “The New Politics of Legalization,” authors E.J. Dionne and William Galston conclude, “In less than a decade, public opinion has shifted dramatically toward support for the legalization of marijuana. … Demographic change and widespread public experience using marijuana imply that opposition to legalization will never again return to the levels seen in the 1980s. The strong consensus that formed the foundation for many of today’s stringent marijuana laws has crumbled.”

Read the rest of the essay here.

21 Responses to “NORML Guest Column On CNN’s Frontpage”

1. lockedoutofmyshed says:

…i want more then damm near anything to be able to consume cannabis in a responsible manner , as i have for 32 years. being hair tested now for the last 4 years to hold a good job i cannot.what i really dont want is to support the wrong people while doing it. i also do wish for a small amount of regulation concerning the underage not being able to get a hold of it.cannabis has been a great asset to my well being as it brings me much peace and comfort in my daily life. and no, i do not have to use it before going to work and have not but, for those who consume a few beers after work, it works the same way. i know when i can consume it and when not to. i can make a little go a long way. i have been 4 years without its therapeutic effects and am quite miserable.cannabis is the BOMB for anxiety,mood swings,a.d.d….creativity is enhanced as well.i was able to ‘live in my own skin’ if you will. i have been this way pretty much all of my life growing up and found it a benefit at the age of 18 when i started consuming. actually it was a few years before i relized the true benefit….living without it leaves me close to empty and i know others feel the same…sure wish folks who do not consume it could take some time to understand it is a benefit to many in medical ways.all i want is my quality of life back.i am a productive part of society, i have worked for the same company for 35 years now,i live conservativly and have raised an awesome family..
      thank you norml for how far this has come and i wish you MUCH sucess in the coming few years!!!….good day!

2. TheOracle says:

Congratulations, Norml! Thank you for all your hard work and perseverance!

I hope this is a ratings gusher for CNN!

Fox News has its own resident physicians who are their regulars, and they seem fairly prohibitionist to me. I hope they see the light and change their tunes to something pro-cannabis, however excellent research and fact-checking is something Fox is know for–more for lax fact-checking.

MSNBC is just a big question mark for me when it comes to doing anything pro-cannabis, such as Trish Regan style specials: Eye candy moderator advocating legalization. Rachel Maddow maybe, the Eye Candy doesn’t have to be meant for heterosexual men, or does it?

3. In the California Code, an attorney cannot appear ‘specially’ for the accused at Arraignment to challenge the tribunal proceeding upon a defective warrant that define cannabis flowers as a drug with high levels of abuse that has NO MEDICAL USE. However, attorneys DO appear specially in Civil Court to challenge jurisdiction and do so as a NORML practice at law. “What causes that?” the church lady was want to ask, “could it be Satan?”

4. Voice of the Resistance says:

The front line of the drug war is in the workplace. Workplace drug testing is unconstional and needs to end.

5. St. Nick and Dime says:

I can relate to him. Quality of life IS an issue for those who HAVE smoked, but now can’t. I know songs like Pink Floyd’s Quicksilver, DSOM and Astronomy Domine just aren’t as good when you’re out like me because of lack of green… backs, that is. And then to make things worse Rick James-Mary Jane will come on and it sounds like they’re taunting me with bliss. And then snoop dogg or lion or rat or whatever will come on saying, “This weed is mine! You can’t have it.” Geez. Well I need a fresh bowl of nugs right about now. Should stand on a corner with a sign that says, “Weedless, need love and some buds.” Ok

6. People are finally realizing that basically the government has been lying to them. Sadly it has taken years of a badly run country/government (and I’m referring to Bush, not Obama) to realize that they’ve been forcing ill informed political rants on why marijuana is bad and should be illegal etc on the American people simply because they refuse to acknowledge the scientific fact. That and being run by republicans ran the country pretty greedy (on the side of government). Look at history and any one can see just how useful and harmless it really is.

Even CNN’s Dr Gupta has changed his support when he finally came to realization.

7. Jaytom says:

It is an organized attempt by the MEDICAL MAFFIA to influence the media and talk in favor of legalizing THE POT / MARIJUANA and keep our younger generation hooked up on it for the rest of their life and reap,huge profits. This will only help the civilized society to go back to MARDIGRASS, WOODWORK, HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA AND THE HIPPY ERA , an era when people use anything to GET HIGH and spoil the life.

Just like STEROIDS makes people DIABETICS AND EVENTUALLY HEART ATTACKS , this POT will create a plethora of problems in human life.

8. RUT says:

I hope NORML keeps on getting interviewed and consulted with by main stream media. It is important that lawmakers are not getting bad information from the wrong people to ask. It seems many self appointed experts are crawling out of the woodwork these days. We need information from those who have years of experience on this subject like ALLEN ST.PIERRE. WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH JUNK SCIENCE. DR. GUPTA SPEAKING OUT IS MORE THAN COURAGEOUS ON HIS PART. Especially with him being a neurosurgeon and a reporter. It seems like forever that the media mocked and ridiculed those who wanted intelligent laws for marijuana use. I WAS STUNNED TO SEE NORML GET A FRONT PAGE REVIEW. GREAT JOB NORML!

9. st nick says:

What, youre not posting my comments now? If it helps cannabis legality, fine. Remember, Im the one who emailed you just 3 words: Yes we cannabis. You now know it to be true!! Rofl

10. Denny Strausser says:

Gawds that one man is an idiot. Where does he get his info from?, or should I say, missinfo?
      If the stats are so bad in California, then point us to some hard evidence of this. It’s clear to me, he’s just a prohibitionist, who would say anything against pot, just to keep it illegal.