Congress to Hold Hearings on State and Federal Marijuana Conflict

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director August 26, 2013

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has scheduled a hearing to address the conflict between state and federal marijuana laws.

“It is important, especially at a time of budget constraints, to determine whether it is the best use of federal resources to prosecute the personal or medicinal use of marijuana in states that have made such consumption legal,” Senator Leahy stated, “I believe that these state laws should be respected. At a minimum, there should be guidance about enforcement from the federal government.”

The hearing is scheduled for September 10th and both Attorney General Eric Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole have been invited to testify.

The hearing comes after 20 states have approved of the medical use of marijuana and two states have legalized it for recreational use. The Department of Justice had promised clarification for these states regarding how, or if, the federal government intends to respond, but has thus far failed to provide any clear policy or guidance. It is the hope of Senator Leahy these hearings will address the concerns of these states and provide them a way to move forward with their state approved marijuana laws.

NORML will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

71 Responses to “Congress to Hold Hearings on State and Federal Marijuana Conflict”

1. John Malmo says:

Whoo hoo! About time the Feds took up the issue. Dialogue may lead to legislation leading to freedom. Sen. Leahy deserves high praise for his efforts to promote change.

2. Cat Cassie says:

I’ll be holding my breath until this hearing is over. This could be it. Keep your fingers crossed.

3. Miles says:

Nine months into 2013 the Feds still haven’t specified how they will respond to the differences between state and federal laws. President Obama says he does not approve of legalization at this point but fails to let any of us know why.

Does anyone out there wonder why the American people so distrust our nation’s leaders? I truly get the impression that they are not just hypocritical liars but are also completely incompetent!

I’m glad there are at least a few good people out there fighting the stupidity! I applaud your efforts Senator Leahy and continue to wonder what the hell is up with our president. Obama is clearly not the person so many of us thought we were voting for.

4. Voice of the Resistance says:

You mean to tell me that I have to ask some Washington politician for permission to smoke marijuana? Yeah, and I come from a generation of young people who growing up during the Vietnam war had to deal with adults who acted like spoiled children.

5. tommy says:

I think the government needs to grow up, they have been acting like babies, not everyone like to drink, not every one can afford to go too the doctor. The government is a twisted mean greedy entity that needs to be shut down every one fired and then restarted. I think if you get elected your have four years to serve. Marijuana has been used before America was ever on the scene but some frigging racist idoit decided marijuana was evil and no one should be able to smoke Marijuana, times have change Mr. Government, your war on drugs is not a war on drugs it is a war on every American who smokes pot or uses anyother drug I dont drugs should be legal just marijuana cause its not a drug its a plant. The constitution say we must raise up against a government that takes away our rights liberties and freedome so i am calling for a march on washington for all pot smokers we will have a east coast hempfest on Pennesylvia Ave right infront of the white house! Right after I finish this bag of doritos’!

6. Brandon Boucher says:

Almost an entire year has gone by and not even one word has been spoken in regards o all of this…

If I were to act like that at my job, I would have been fired the first day…

7. lockedoutofmyshed says:

…oh boy, i cannot wait to see what our federal pukes will have to say…gar-on-tee it will be the SAME bullshit….

8. I hope that more people will start going back to natural medicines and the government will quit denying people this right. We consume way to many chemically made ‘things’. Let get back to nature! follow my blog @ themuchneededtruth.com.

9. Dave Evans says:

Yes, please do your jobs.

10. DanFie says:

Hooray! A federal-level conversation about enforcement! I’m curious to see what results come out of this, and how long it will take before the next hearings. Let’s keep this national conversation moving!