Everything is Bigger in Texas, Including Support for Marijuana Legalization

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director October 8, 2013

normlpollban

They say things are bigger in Texas and, according to new survey data just released by Public Policy Polling, that includes support for marijuana law reform.

PPP’s polling found that 58% of Texans support regulating marijuana like alcohol and only 38% were opposed. This change in policy was supported by 59% of women, 70% of Democrats, 57% of Independents, a majority of all racial demographics, and a majority of all age demographics.

The survey also reported that 58% of Texans supported medical marijuana and 61% supported the decriminalization of possession of an ounce or less.

You can read the full survey here.

With a high profile governor’s race shaping up between Senator Wendy Davis, the only declared
    Democrat, and a Republican challenger (Attorney General Abbot seems to be leading in current polls) the time is ripe to make marijuana law reform a major issue in America’s second most populated state.

TEXANS: You can contact the announced candidates for Texas governor by clicking on their links below. Send them a quick message telling them:

“Public Policy Polling found that 58% of Texans support ending our costly war on marijuana and replacing it with a system of regulation similar to how we deal with alcohol. This majority support was spread across all age and ethnic demographics. It is time we consider a new approach to marijuana. As a Texas voter, I am very concerned with your position on the issues of marijuana law reform and would greatly appreciate if you could inform me of your stance on the taxation and regulation of marijuana, as well as allowing for its medical use and decriminalization of personal possession.”

DEMOCRAT:
    State Senator Wendy Davis

REPUBLICAN:
    Attorney General Greg Abbott
    Tom Pauken
    Miriam Martinez
    Larry Kilgore

(If you receive a response please forward it to erik@norml.org)

CANDIDATE RESPONSES:

Miriam Martinez (posted in response to a question on her Facebook page): “I support the medical use of marijuana and decriminalization of personal possession.”

64 Responses to “Everything is Bigger in Texas, Including Support for Marijuana Legalization”

1. Ryan Jarnagin says:

“I support the medical use of marijuana and decriminalization of personal possession. I thank you for your question” – Miriam Martinez

Screen captured documentation:

2. d levin says:

Its time to cash in texas.
      Make it fully legal.
      Maybe we should make booze a crime .

3. Galileo Galilei says:

Surprising. Everything I’ve ever read about Texas tells me it is NOT a place you’d want to be caught holding.

Texas do not like government. Surprisingly, they have car inspections there. (I guess you get more Federal highway funds or something.) I had to get an old junker of a car inspected there even though I was going to move to Maryland in a few weeks. It passed with a cost of $7. When I arrived in Maryland the cost of repairs to pass inspection would have been over $2000.

4. Galileo Galilei says:

I almost forgot. Focus efforts at reform on lower taxes and less government interference. Texans have been deriving money from their oil fields, but these are drying up. Convince them to get the stoners to pay!

5. mprader says:

it should have never been illegal to begin with. I never gave anyone the right over my body or choices.

6. UnitedVagland says:

Mprader,
      Do some research on the organic act of 1801 and 1871. You’ll find also the 14th amendment basically gives the corporation “UNITED STATES” complete dominion of your “PERSON” after participating in any government program. Social security number, Drivers License, military, etc. Basically bitcoin is our salvation. Just you watch. Silk road, then bitcoin. IT’S HAPPENING!

7. John Libertarian Tx says:

Thanks Normal for making it easy to contact the Texas candidates. I don’t expect much but change starts some where. Normal and MPP please contact the political candidates to make them state their position on marijuana. The candidate Wendy Davis is the underdog candidate, but if she will have courage to be different she might just win.

8. dan says:

uhh they polled 860 people, not even a legit poll.

9. Potimism says:

I think the front runner is Greg Abbot so I would def send him a message.

10. chupacabra says:

Thanks for thinking of us, but this election is going to be about jobs and abortion. They are already calling Wendy Davis, “Abortion Barbie” because she stood up for women’s healthcare rights. No one in their right mind would add Marijuana to that… Thanks, but maybe after she’s in office we could legalize it for medical purposes first… that would be great. There are just so many vocal right wing freaks here these days…