NORML Partners with The Family Law & Cannabis Alliance

• by Sabrina Fendrick October 24, 2013

momforpot

It’s no secret that there has been a proliferation government agencies across the country removing minors and infants from their home, based solely on the fact that a parent is a cannabis consumer, and the false presumption that the presence of marijuana poses a danger.  This even occurs in states with a legal medical marijuana program, or where marijuana possession is no longer a criminal offense.  Some of these experiences can be incredibly traumatic to the child, as well as the parents, as officers have a tendency to use aggressive and sometimes militaristic tactics while engaging with these families.

FLCAlogo_innerbottomtxt_smallNORML receives dozens of calls and emails every month from devastated parents who have lost custody of their children to state agencies, and we remain committed to providing support and resources to those forced into these unfortunate circumstances.  In light of such efforts, we are pleased to announce that NORML has recently partnered with the newly formed Family Law and Cannabis Alliance (FLCA), founded by longtime drug reform activists Jess Cochrane and Sara Arnold.  The FLCA is an informational clearinghouse that provides educational resources, advocacy information and legal referrals geared  toward reformers & affected families on the crossover of marijuana laws & the child protection system.

Sabrina Fendrick, Director of Women’s Outreach said, she is “looking forward to working with the Family Law and Cannabis Alliance to raise awareness about the devastating effects, and sometimes dangerous practice, of child services in removing children from their safe and loving homes for the mere fact a parent is a cannabis consumer.  It is time to end this destructive policy, and put an end to marijuana prohibition once and for all.”

Click here for more information on the Family Law and Cannabis Alliance.

36 Responses to “NORML Partners with The Family Law & Cannabis Alliance”

1. wbs 101 says:

Glad to hear this. Parents losing their kids over marijuana has been one of the issues that has bothered me the most about prohibition. It should open everyone’s eyes to what a police state we have become. It is also good to see NORML alligning itself with all these other organization if we are all united it will make our victory even easier.

2. ks says:

It is hard for me to comprehend why people would want to traumatize families because someone uses medical cannabis. The ridiculous part is that had the parent been drinking, verbally abusive, or just a bad caregiver the powers that be probably wouldn’t have said, or done, anything. I love America, but I don’t understand it at times.

3. RUT says:

THIS WHOLE ISSUE OF CONTINUING TO BULLY THE PUBLIC ON MARIJUANA ISSUES SHOWS THE INTELLIGENCE OF OUR LAWMAKERS OR LACK OF IT. HOW THESE CREEPY LAW ENFORCEMENT PEOPLE THAT OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS HAVE EMPOWERED CAN KEEP UP THIS FARSE IS BEOND ME. REMEMBER THE POLICE ARE YOUR FRIEND AND THEY WANT TO TEACH SCHOOL CHILDREN ABOUT BULLYING. AMERICANS DESERVE TO LOSE THEIR FREEDOMS IF THEY ALLOW THIS TO GO ON. VOTE VOTE VOTE THEM OUT!

4. John Bradley says:

This is a tragedy in our nation. President Obama should have Marijuana fully investigated for any harmful affects of cannibis. Once they do, and tell the truth about cannibis, the U.S. Government should be sued by these devastated families for lying to Americans all this time and destroying their lives. This is just as bad as a child losing a father or mother in an auto accident. All other previous Presidents, DEA, police officers, child welfare should ALL be ashamed of themselves as they were part of the lies and devastation of families. Doesn’t anyone have a heart. Are we North Korea or the United States of America? When are the leaders of our nation going to set a good example? What a disgrace. Its better now than 20 years ago but its still happening.

5. mexweed says:

What can scare Big 2WackGo (and Alcohol and pHARMa) more than to see any parent with impunity let any child know there is a safer alternative to H-ot B-urning O-verdose-onoxide nicotine $igarettes?

Confession: I am a grandparent-divorced father. The grandparents apparently were united behind a view expressed on the phone by my mother-in-law, “We were afraid you would impose a marijuana culture on the children.” They helped find and finance an out-of-town place for the mother and children to move. Some may say, in those days culture and relatives got the job done without involving bureaucrats as the current issue here.

6. Patriot1 says:

Tyranny in all forms must be opposed. Cannabis never should have been illegal in the first place. There is some progress being made, such as in Washington state and Colorado, but these state governments are often schizophrenic; they restore liberty with one hand but take it away with the other. Colorado is the classic example of this. They legalized weed, which is good, but then passed draconian gun control laws, which is bad. It was good to see the people rise up and remove those two senators from office for their treason against the right to keep and bear arms, they had it coming to them. Doing only a half ass job of upholding liberty is no liberty at all, either you uphold all of it or you uphold none of it. We have far too many democrats who are pro-weed but anti-gun, and far too many republicans who are pro-gun but anti-weed. Neither of these will suffice, we need people in office who will uphold both.

7. grandma3d says:

Hello
      This child was taken away from her pot smoking parents, and the child was murdered by the foster parent.

8. K says:

I’m a legal medical marijuana patient in my state. About 9 years ago, my kids were stolen by the state. it took me 11 months, parenting, drug, domestic violence victim classes, and dealing with my ex(who is/caused the reason I have a card) to get them back. I never stopped my medical marijuana use. Some of the counselors didn’t think I needed to be there expect for the drug counselor….they went through 3 different counselors while I was forced to go. I got one to relapse on tobacco before she quit the next quit within 2-3 weeks, and the last one let me graduate the class. I used facts about mj while they tried those scarey myths. This did wonders to my PTSD, it caused all of us to get PTSD over the bs we went through. my kids were 4 and 6 years old when taken. I got them physically back, but they haven’t been the same since.

9. Pappy says:

If that’s the case, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands because we have to take kids out of the homes with Alcohol! Stands to reason since it is more dangerous. Let’s see… marijuana = zero deaths / alcohol = hundreds of thousands of deaths. Definitely time for change.

10. Melanie T says:

My oldest son was taken from me for 13 months for smoking marijuana. I had to do 13 months of drug and alcohol which i dont drink or even take prescriptions for lupus and fibromyalgia. Ill never forget the pain they caused my family. I faught long and hard to get him back. Glad to see this happening. My family is back together and we added 3 more kiddos. Children services tried to knock on my door last year again i just paid a lawyer to do all the talking and she wouldnt allow any tests. My son was 2 when this happend hes now 10 and hes an advanced student and im one proud mommy stoned or not.