Three Localities in Michigan Approve Legalization By Large Margins

• by NORML November 5, 2013

logosmokevoteThree localities in Michigan (Ferndale, Jackson, and Lansing) all voted in support of marijuana legalization today by huge margins. The three areas had similar proposals to remove criminal and civil penalties for personal possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana.

Ferndale won by the largest margin with 72% of voters approving the measure. Jackson approved their ordinance with 61% support and only 39% opposed and Lansing passed theirs with 63% support. (Note: Official final vote tallies will be updated when they come in.)

“These votes in Michigan, along with the resounding vote in Portland, Maine illustrate that not only are the American people considering moving towards legalization of marijuana, they overwhelmingly are demanding it,” stated NORML Communications Director Erik Altieri, “Politicians must open their eyes to the political reality that legalization has arrived and is supported by a massive majority of voters. If they continue to drag their feet on the issue, we will take it to the people wherever possible, and we will win.”

27 Responses to “Three Localities in Michigan Approve Legalization By Large Margins”

1. Mike says:

I think this is great. Cannabis should be legal for all people everywhere!!!! It’s the best medicine our creator gave us. I just want everyone to know that I live in Illinois and I support ya’ll vote too. The people demand it to be legal and nature is also demanding it. If it doesn’t happen I can garente a revolution. The people will rise up for what should be freedom. If were all equal in america why are people getting arrested for possessing plants where i live and in Colorado they can buy it, grow it and consume it with no cops busting their ass for it. I think it’s all about money…. hmmmm Henry Ford made a car made of hemp and it ran off the hemp oil…. sounds like a fix to the gas/energy chrisis. I know the best Bird Feed is Pot Seeds 😉 Peace to all

2. Douglas says:

When will Texas get its Bud

3. Anonymous says:

C’mon Muskegon and GR!

4. Ryan says:

So now the question I do these ordinances get upheld?? And I am in Tennessee and this ordinance change has been an idea of mine here in Blount county tn for a while, I just can’t find a lot of information on how to actually get it changed, any help would be great people, my email is rrush865@gmail.com. Thanks people lets change these archaic laws!!!

5. Almost Retired says:

This could be the answer to the state workers pension problem. Why isn’t that on the table. No let’s just raise taxes to pay for it.

6. Anonymous says:

In reply to “C’mon Muskegon and GR!” – Grand Rapids voted to decriminalize one year ago (2012 election). A lawsuit was filed and it took around 6 months to get cleared up before the changes took place. Since then there have been hundreds of cases that have avoided arrest.

7. Anon says:

Need it everywhere.

8. Wild man says:

It’s hard to understand why we can legally drink ourselves stupid with no pharmaceutical gain, yet smoking we can’t. Personally I don’t do either but have several friends who are fighting health issues and find relief with pot. I have yet to see anyone who can’t function while under the influence of marijuana but we all have witnessed someone so drunk they can’t stand up. If pot is illegal, shouldn’t alcohol be as well? Hypocritical? I think so.

9. legalization is a sham! the EXCESSIVE sin tax imposed guarentees the sale of bootleg pot. Both law enforcement and the cartels win! This is nothing more than a bad joke!

[Paul Armentano responds: None of the citywide measures voted on yesterday address retail sales, commercial production, or taxes related to said activities. All of the measures approved simply eliminate criminal and civil penalties for adult marijuana possession in private.]

10. Diane says:

Much safer and more effective than all of the prescription drugs our pharmaceutical companies are giving us!!!