The Countdown to Legal Cannabis Retail Sales Has Begun

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director December 30, 2013

The eyes and ears of the national and international media will be focused on Colorado on New Year’s Day as the nation’s first modern state-licensed retail cannabis dispensaries will be open for business.

Late last week, state and local regulators signed off on the first wave of licensed cannabis businesses, with hundreds more applicants awaiting final approval. (See the actual state-approved marijuana business license via today’s CNN video here.)

The Colorado NORML website has posted a clock counting down the hours and minutes until the nation’s first recreational cannabis sales become reality here. They also provide a statewide list of licensed cannabis retailers, as well as a ‘consumers’ guide’ to complying with Colorado state law here.

Like I told USA Today in its coverage today, “The genie’s out of the bottle and it’s simply not going back in.”

42 Responses to “The Countdown to Legal Cannabis Retail Sales Has Begun”

1. I suffered a severe back injury, which resulted into three surgeries. The third being a bi-level fusion. It made my nerve damage in my left calf contract at any given moment. Sometimes they last for minutes at a time. Governor Christie has made it impossible for me and people who are dying from Aids and Cancer, to receive Medical Marijuana.

2. Dave Evans says:

Means nothing to me. Marijuana should be legal for sale to anyone 18 or older. Celebrating the further mutations of meaning of “Freedom” that do not include “freedom” is, well sorry.

3. Dave Evans says:

Anyone should be able to grow and own marijuana or cannabis plants. You should be 18 to smoke marijuana. Simple. But impossible as we beg for the govenment to take over marijuana.

4. Michael says:

Well I live in Minnesota and don’t think this very fair to the rest of us. There is no doubt the entire country will be getting access to marijuana from Colorado, which makes it more sensible to legalize it nationally.

5. anonymous says:

Im traveling from Baltimore to Denver on New Years just to witness this incredible day. Needless to say, I am very excited

6. nathaniel murray says:

Awesome New Year.

7. TheOracle says:

I’m still waiting to hear that the federal dawgz (DEA, IRS, ATF, FBI) have been called off, you know, that law enforcement doesn’t come in and steal all your product and money via one of the aforementioned or similar.

That’s the green light for the rest of the world.

8. Sean says:

@Dave: The government taking over marijuana? Are the retail stores owned by the government? BTW, I agree that the legal age should be 18, but I didn’t write A-64. However, to put it in perspective, I waited decades of my life for marijuana to be legal, an 18 year old waiting three years isn’t asking too much. Also, 18 years old can acquire marijuana medically if I’m not mistaken. Don’t be such a Debby Downer!

9. Ray says:

It’s beautiful. For myself, an amputee cancer survivor, it represents hope for New York, and many other states.

10. Cat Cassie says:

Happy New Year Everyone. And Blessings to all of you at Norml and the people of Colorado for making this amazing day possiable. Our voices have been heard.