This is What Grassroots Marijuana Law Reform Looks Like; Join Us

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director January 10, 2014

Marijuana laws are changing across the nation. They are changing because stakeholders are becoming actively involved in their own liberation by joining groups like NORML, forming NORML chapters, and making their voices heard.

NORML has always relied on the efforts of our regional affiliates – people like you – to personally spread the NORML message to local and state lawmakers. On Saturday, members of one such regional NORML affiliate, the northern Virginia chapter of NORML, presented an articulate, persuasive, and coordinated message to their elected officials: ‘It’s time to stop arresting responsible adults who consume cannabis.’ Their efforts are commendable – and necessary.

As we begin the 2014 state legislative session, a session that promises to be the busiest session for marijuana law reform in our history, it is vital that stakeholders play and active and participatory role in the legislative process. You can do so by joining any one of the dozens of NORML chapters nationwide or by starting your own. You can also do so by regularly logging on to norml.org/act to learn about the latest pending marijuana law reform measures pending in your state. By visiting this page, NORML will also identify your local elected officials and provide you with the tools to contact him or her in support of marijuana law reform. By visiting NORML’s facebook page, following NORML on Twitter, and/or by signing up for NORML’s newsletter, you will also receive timely e-mail alerts informing you of when legislative hearings and key votes are taking place in your state.

Today, the mainstream media, pundits, and elected officials are all talking about marijuana policy in unprecedented numbers. They are doing so because of people like you. Make your voice heard. Make your voice count. Get active; get NORML!

39 Responses to “This is What Grassroots Marijuana Law Reform Looks Like; Join Us”

1. Ray Walker says:

Really good stuff guys. I love the MIT Engineer standing up and say he’s a marijuana user. Putting the right face on this issue is spot-on to progress. Storys of real people is the honest truth that has been largely ignored. My thoughts these days are filled with what I can do toward this effort. Educating myself so as to be the coherent voice of reason is one thing I do. Another is always trying to find the right moment steer the conversation toward this issue and maybe change the misconceptions that have for so long crippled us all. A great mind once said that we must become what we want the world to be. I want the world to be fair, honest, forgiving, and tolerant. Being brave and wise at the same time is something I’m still working on.

2. jack says:

He’s not the only engineer smoking out there ;). Make the waters safer for us we have a lot to risk coming out, make it safer for us we’ll come out and help the cause soon :).

3. QuaxMercy says:

As a Fairfax County resident, I salute these articulate citizens for their passionate eloquence on behalf of a more reasoned, scientific & compassionate approach to this
      public health and social justice issue.
      Oh! And! Jobs,jobs,jobs.

4. bobwv says:

Anderson Cooper on cnn just had a great report.

5. Gweedo says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

Sorry NORML, but with all the incredible excitement surrounding Colorado and Washington and all the other states with legalization on the table this year, a video of a legislative session is a bit of a snoozefest.

6. kerry says:

like to hook up with local chapter near Milw. wis any suggestions. Thanks

7. Anonymous says:

people might not want to out themselves and lose their employment so get more if anonymous like polls and surveys. cameras in public at public events. are private cannabis legalization clubs practice to keep membership private so members keep livelihoods don’t lose jobs, business, customers? then after legalization they become grow clubs or whatever.

yeah tv cameras got you placed there in news footage, downtown surveillance cameras, boss, coworkers neighbors, your own kids, whoever notices you go in there. mom got a meeting. politicians need to loosen up and legalize. the polls show it

8. Joel: the other Joel says:

The voice of reason. Think cannabis.

9. Mark Jordan says:

Unfortunately I am a federal employee who will be fired immediately if I join any protests for marijuana use. I want to join in but don’t know how and want to start a NORML chapter in Harrisburg Pa. I am forbidden by contract to join any such demonstration or organization. I will have a job with good pay and retain my beliefs in silence or starve to death with no job but correct beliefs. I fully believe in the right to use marijuana. This society is terribly illogical in its conclusion to allow alcohol use but not marijuana. I am a student of logic. I have never seen such bad logic used.

10. Ray says:

Once the federal government recognizes that the multi-million dollars that people are using to buy “legal” marijuana, is all cash, they have a duty to respond. Either they crush Colorado or reschedule it so the banks can get their share.

This war on marijuana is America’s longest and most expensive war with no end in site.
      The definition of stupid is to do the same thing the same way and expect a different result. We need to rethink our priorities and protect people from drugs through education and mental help, not prisons and violence.

What happened to my America that the war on drugs is fought with the very same police that are sworn to protect me? If you want to protect me get me help, educate me, don’t throw me in prison.

Follow the money, it’s all cash. This is not going to end well if the banks and credit cards don’t get involved. When the criminals make a large violent robbery then the government will blame it all on marijuana. We all know it is a situation set up by the feds so they can point their finger and say,”See, we told you marijuana causes crime.”