• by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive Director February 12, 2014

Earlier today, 18 members of Congress signed onto a letter that was delivered to President Barack Obama calling for him to remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.

“We request that you take action to help alleviate the harms to society caused by the federal Schedule I classification of marijuana. Lives and resources are wasted on enforcing harsh, unrealistic, and unfair marijuana laws,” the letter reads, “Nearly two-thirds of a million people every year are arrested for marijuana possession. We spend billions every year enforcing marijuana laws, which disproportionately impact minorities. According to the ACLU, black Americans are nearly four times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana possession, despite comparable usage rates.”

The letter was signed by Representatives Blumenauer (OR), Cohen (TN), Farr (CA), Grijalva (AZ), Honda (CA), Huffman (CA), Lee (CA), Lofgren (CA), Lowenthal (CA), McGovern (MA), Moran (VA), O’Rourke (TX), Polis (CO), Quigley (IL), Rohrabacher (CA), Schakowsky (IL), Swalwell (CA), and Welch (VT).

“Classifying marijuana as Schedule I at the federal level perpetuates an unjust and irrational system. Schedule I recognizes no medical use, disregarding both medical evidence and the laws of nearly half of the states that have legalized medical marijuana,” the letter continued, “A Schedule I or II classification also means that marijuana businesses in states where adult or medical use are legal cannot deduct business expenses from their taxes or take tax credits due to Section 280E of the federal tax code. We request that you instruct Attorney General Holder to delist or classify marijuana in a more appropriate way, at the very least eliminating it from Schedule I or II.”

You can read the full text of the letter here.

96 Responses to “18 Members of Congress Call on President Obama to Remove Marijuana from Schedule I”

1. SHELLY ROOFE says:

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WOULD NOT HIRE ME BECAUSE I HAD MARIJUANA IN MY SYSTEM. THEY DRINK, POP PILLS AND DO HARD STUFF, BUT I’M THE BAD ONE W WEED IN MY PEE? THEY CAN DRAIN THEIR POISONS OUT W/IN 72 HOURS.

2. Anony says:

Listen, I don’t want to go off topic, but take this marijuana quiz titled “How much do you know about marijuana?” and get back to me.

Apparently I only know 45% =(

3. THIS LAW NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. ENOUGH TIME HAS GONE BY NOW,AND ENOUGH OF PEOPLES LIVES HAVE BEEN RUINED. IT’S A HARMLESS PLANT. ACTUALLY IT IS A HELPFUL PLANT/MEDICINE.

4. Dran says:

Glad to see this “Do Nothing” congress actually listening to its people! But I guarantee Oklahoma will be the last state to relax the laws.

5. Miles says:

Having marijuana (cannabis) listed as a schedule one drug is an absolute lie and is completely ridiculous. Indeed, listing it as a schedule 2 drug is incredibly stupid! I can only hope that President Obama acts differently than the previous jerky white presidents…

I am extremely pleased that even in Nazi Virginia we have at least one honorable representative calling for this idiocy to be changed!

6. Ned says:

A brief perusal of the CSA drug Schedule is surprising. Some pretty problematic drugs are down in IV and V.

With alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine not scheduled at all, I’d say the most appropriate thing to do would be to delist it completely.

The thing is, the initial scheduling was a completely political act. Actually, the initial prohibitions at the state level in the early 20th century were too.

Politics have always trumped the reality and science of just what THC is and does. It has taken reversing the political landscape to alter the legal status. Has the reversal advanced far enough yet for our “leaders” to feel safe following the publics lead?

7. 420People says:

about time. One small step to end cannabis prohibition. glass pipes and bongs at http://420elite.com

8. Faye Daniels says:

But let’s not kid ourselves; by using “think tanks” and “science foundations,” Prohibitionist Corporations like Koch Industries can become underwriters to media like PBS and influence the debate. Koch Industries owns the patent to petrochemical products such as Stainmaster carpets and Lycra that can’t compete with a legal hemp-cannabis market. The Koch brothers also purchased the fiber and paper patents from Dupont in 2004 that originally outlawed hemp by linking it to marijuana propaganda way back in the Marijuana Stamp Act of 1937. (Anslinger, timber industry, U.S. Forestry)

9. Anonymous says:

I’m blown away by the initiative and conviction of these 18 members of Congress. It looks like there may be hope for this country at the federal level after all.