• by Sabrina Fendrick February 12, 2014

Nearly 30 states, and the District of Columbia are considering marijuana law reform legislation this year, including bills that cover legalization for adults, decriminalization, medical marijuana and hemp.  Some states have a variety of reform bills simultaneously pending such as Arizona which is considering legalization and decriminalization, and Pennsylvania which is considering legalization as well as medical marijuana legislation.  Here’s a quick breakdown:

14 states are considering legalization: Arizona, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin.

12 states and the District of Columbia are considering decriminalization: Alabama, Arizona, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Wyoming.

11 states are considering legislation to establish effective medical marijuana programs: Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Hawaii, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

3 states are considering allowing industrial hemp cultivation: Indiana, New York, and Tennessee.

Click here to access NORML’s Action Alerts and quickly and easily contact your elected officials to encourage their support of any pending reform bills.  Be sure to keep checking NORML’s Take Action Center to see if your state has joined the list!

76 Responses to “Over Half of the States are Considering Marijuana Law Reform – Is Your State One Of Them?”

1. scott says:

My state is not on there and with the severe chrones disease I have it would help me a lot. I sent an email to my states(Indiana) Normal “contact us/email” on the site to ask what I can do too help and never got a response. Any help here?

2. wade harbour says:

Its not about governors, congressmen, or any other elected official taking action on their own beliefs, it is about that elected official having the integrity to stand up for what the people that they are representing want, and not their own political views or agendas. Now is the time to be writing these so called “representatives” to see if they will support the data “polls” and if they don’t, then get them the hell out!! Its’ time to go to the booth and VOTE! I called Wendy Davis 2 MONTHS ago and she and her campaign has REFUSED to answer the question. Wendy, will you do what Texas wants and legalize Marijuana? And if not, then HELL no I will not vote for you, as a matter of fact I will let everyone know where you stand on the issue.

Yours truly,
      Robert Harbour

3. Catherine Fields says:

Legalize and decriminilized in MISSISSIPPI!! Think of the tax dollars this state could get by opening dispensaries for the particular product and would probably get dealers out of jail to make room for real criminals. Why would somebody put someone in jail for something that grows in the dirt? Although Ms did this to me because they just want to make money for the gvernment. Just think not only small fines yall would get you wpuld also get the tax revenue on the purchases made. I sont mind paying taxes on it and i believe i would have a few others in join me on that just to see it legal. Get the pot criminals out of jail to make room for serious crimes why does a state want to pay all those taxes on prisoners in jail for a plant proven to help as medicine.

4. Chad Barritt says:

I would like to be emailed about these type of changes in law. I hope for the people that need Marijuana the most for their illness will gain access to this medication through change on a federal level not just state.

5. Rasta says:

Hell no, I am from Iowa they are fighting us tooth & nail to keep it from happen here in Iowa. they know that Iowa does every other state will follow us. Where the first state to legalize gay marriage, where the first state to legalize the right to carry, where the first state to vote, we put Obbuma in office, just to name a few things that we are the first in. So government will not let it happen here. for fear of what the other state will do if legalize Ganja in Iowa, and if wasn’t for Carl Olsen keeping up the presser here there wouldn’t be nothing going on here. So Iowa will be one of the last state to legalize, sad but true…. Oh well….one love Peace…

6. Alex says:

I’m surprised California is not on the list. It should be…

7. TheOracle says:

Nope, not Pennsylvania. Not even the Democratic Attorney General is for legalizing marijuana strains high in CBDs such as Charlotte’s Web for treating Dravet’s. I expect that out of the Republican Governor Tom Corbett, heartless asswipe that he is. We have bipartisan legislation from Folmer (R) and Leach (D) but the rest of the politicians are holding it up. Even states in the Deep South are going for at least legalizing the kind that treats Dravet’s. Pennsylvania will be the last state, it looks like, as they’re masters at concealing the corruption. They still say they don’t have any information about what happened to District Attorney Ray Gricar, who disappeared under suspicious circumstances while the Jerry Sanduski child molestation investigation was going on. Gricar refused for some reason to charge Sanduski, then disappeared and his laptop was found without the hard drive in the Susquehanna River. Corbett is performing magic tricks with his latest budget, in which he still leaves the state pension, public education, the environment because of untaxed Marcellus Shale fracking in a shitty shambles.

Corbett sucks greasy donkey dick and must go. Sooner the better!

8. I am the founder of:(L.H.N.L.) Legalize Hemp Now Louisiana.
      It’s on FB,& is doing well. I stay in touch w/ my state rep.,&
      Would encourage anyone who reads this to join in this fight,but
      everyone has to do there part by calling your local,& state officials.
      Thank you very much.

9. Justin says:

I hope Michigan will make it legal for recreational use for 21 and up instead of just decriminalizing it. The state could use the tax revenue bad and I’ve been planning on moving back to Michigan.. currently I am in Tennessee and they don’t have it legal for medical use yet because I could really use it for medical use due to some of the medical conditions I have.

10. Anonymous says:

Guam has a medicinal initiative on the ballot as well