• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director April 3, 2014

Seventy-five percent of Americans believe that the sale and use of cannabis will eventually be legal for adults, according to national polling data released this week by the Pew Research Center. Pew pollsters have been surveying public opinion on the marijuana legalization issue since 1973, when only 12 percent of Americans supported regulating the substance.

Fifty-four percent of respondents say that marijuana ought to be legal now, according to the poll. The total is the highest percentage of support ever reported by Pew and marks an increase of 2 percent since 2013. Forty-two percent of respondents said that they opposed legalizing marijuana for non-therapeutic purposes. Only 16 percent of Americans said that the plant should not be legalized for any reason.

Demographically, support for cannabis legalization was highest among those age 18 to 29 (70 percent), African Americans (60 percent), and Democrats (63 percent). Support was weakest among those age 65 and older (32 percent) and Republicans (39 percent).

Seventy-six percent of those surveyed oppose incarceration as a punishment for those found to have possessed personal use quantities of marijuana. Only 22 percent of respondents supported sentencing marijuana possession offenders to jail.

Fifty-four percent of those polled expressed concern that legalizing marijuana might lead to greater levels of underage pot use. (Forty-four percent said that it would not.) Overall, however, respondents did not appear to believe that such an outcome would pose the type of significant detrimental health risks presently associated with alcohol. As in other recent polls, respondents overwhelmingly say that using cannabis is far less harmful to health than is drinking alcohol. Sixty-nine percent of those polled said that alcohol “is more harmful to a person’s health” than is marijuana. Only 15 percent said that cannabis posed greater health risks. Sixty-three percent of respondents separately said that alcohol is “more harmful to society” than cannabis. Only 23 percent said that marijuana was more harmful.

The Pew poll possesses a margin on error of +/- 2.6 percent.

Recent national polls by Gallup and CNN similarly report majority support among Americans for legalizing and regulating the adult use of the plant.

Commenting on the poll, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said: “Advocating for the regulation of cannabis for adults is not a fringe political opinion. It is the majority opinion among the public. Elected officials who continue to push for the status quo — the notion that cannabis ought to be criminalized and that the consumers of cannabis ought to be stigmatized and punished — are holding on to a fringe position that is increasingly out-of-step with the their constituents’ beliefs.”

19 Responses to “Pew Poll: Three-Quarters Of US Adults Say That Marijuana Legalization Is Inevitable”

1. The typical amount of time it takes for Marijuana and Marijuana seeds to emerge can vary between 2 to 10 times.

Your plant ought to be rooted through the same months
      that farmers will be planting herbs locally in case you made a decision to place the Weed crops
      outdoors. In early stages, your seeds will require defending from flowers and
      different weeds, however, as Pot and Marijuana is just a weed, whilst
      the Pot plants expanded and have developed a little,
      they’ll rapidly take-over the region where they are rooted.
      Pad fixed under your lamps at 80 F.

2. lockedoutofMYshed says:

well said voice!….am sorry of your distance with family just because they do not understand the goodness of the remedy! many including myself are in the same boat. fortunately for me, when I was found out all I had to do was say ‘ how has it made me so bad’ their is no reply and ill tell you, I am a more balanced, calmer about handling of sudden situations, happier guy when I consume. i wish people could look past the bullshit about cannabis and see the real goodness that can be found with consuming small and responsible amounts of the remedy. have a great day!

3. Dennis King says:

Legalize,Tax and regulate it and everybody wins !!!

4. Dennis King says:

All those running for office,pay heed to the peoples wishes. Now is the time for action ! Every day some one is in pain,sick,and depressed due to the fact that everything seems to move so slowly . I remember when I went to school they said the government is for the people,how can this be so when they seem to be dragging there feet ? Do the right thing for a change !!Let’s legalize,regulate and tax just like tobacco .

5. Debra says:

I am 59 years old and in a top profession. I am law abiding and common sense. I can attest to the benefits of marijuana for my depression. It lifts the veil of sadness and enables me to laugh, enjoy my life, and engage in life. I do not care one whit what those people are opposed to it say. I want this legalized PERIOD.

6. Justin says:

Trying to outlaw Cannabis shows how humans are obsessed with the illusion of control. Bottom line for all those who oppose it where I live here in the Bible Belt… If you believe in creationism and that God created all things, then you believe he created Cannabis.

7. Voice of the Resistance says:

If this is the same Pew Research Center poll featured on the news two nights ago it also said that 7 out of 10 Americans believe rehab is the solution to the drug problem, not jail time. Another local news feature stated that a young man in Colorado had fallen from a hotel balcony and been killed after consuming marijuana. The news report also featured a doctor who said that emergency rooms were filling with people suffering from paranoia, and hallucinations. So more of the same from prohibitionists, the expected disaster is here drug crazed people jumping to their deaths, traffic snarled, airplanes falling out of the sky.
      Now I admit that for first timers being stoned can be a bit overwhelming, and lead to having a spiritual experience.
      Consider that I’m estranged from my family because of my love for marijuana, personal freedom, and my activism, which was an embarrassment to them. Huh! rehab for people who have done nothing wrong, and have nothing wrong with them.

8. Mark I says:

Remove cannabis from the schedule altogether so the truth, research, and applications of this plant can be investigated without the preliminary requirements of research on additive qualities only. It is used as medicine globally. Why do patients have to be dying to be allowed to use cannabis medications for relief? Why do entrepaneurs have to use cash only for business? Banks enjoy taking from all account owners, why can’t they help apply pressures for rescheduling? Cannabis will be used medicinally and government involvement in its prohibition occurs due to the prison industrial complex and its corporate protocols requireing profits from incarcerating americans for perceptions of deviance. Will the gay and bisexual communities have to worry about governmental intollerance?

9. Dustin aka (dudpud) says:

I agree with everyone. Besides, the stuff from Mexico is horible stuff anyways. The mexican cartel pays a lot of money to keep it illegal. If it’s illegal they make more money when the CIA, DEA and Home Land help them smuggle it. All they do is take so much called “LEAKAGE” (this what they use to track and use for control buys). This is really a no brainer.