Study: Cannabis Inhaler Delivers Effective Relief To Neuropathy Patients

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director August 18, 2014

The administration of a single dose of whole-plant cannabis via a thermal-metered inhaler is effective and well tolerated among patients suffering from neuropathy (nerve pain), according to clinical trial data published online ahead of print in the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy.

Israeli investigators assessed the efficacy of a novel, portable metered-dose cannabis inhaler in eight subjects diagnosed with chronic neuropathic pain. Researchers reported that the device administered an efficient, consistent, and therapeutically effective dosage of cannabinoids to all participants.

They concluded, “This trial suggests the potential use of the Syqe Inhaler device as a smokeless delivery system of medicinal cannabis, producing a delta-9-THC pharmacokinetic profile with low inter-individual variation of (maximum drug/plasma concentrations), achieving pharmaceutical standards for inhaled drugs.”

A series of clinical trials conducted by investigators affiliated with the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research at the University of California, San Diego previously determined that the inhalation of whole-plant cannabis is efficacious in the treatment of neuropathic pain.

Full text of the study, “The pharmacokinetics, efficacy, safety, and ease of use of a novel portable metered-dose cannabis inhaler in patients with chronic neuropathic pain: A phase 1a study,” will appear in the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy.

40 Responses to “Study: Cannabis Inhaler Delivers Effective Relief To Neuropathy Patients”

1. Nikki Rowenhorst says:

I so wish South Dakota would jump on the band wagon! I have severe neuropathy that as the day progresses the pain goes uo my body to my neck and is so bad I have begged my husband to shoot me! I take hydrocodone 10mg at night to help me sleep! Since it’s a scheduled narcotic I won’t take more…I just suffer through it daily!! No one should ever have to live like this!!! Chemotherapy brought on my neuropathy! ! Thank you cancer!!

2. Bernie Robinson says:

Is this also for canadians

3. mexweed says:

The abstract doesn’t mention any specific delivery temperature– how does this type of inhaler compare with presently available VAPORIZERS which are set for 385RF/197C or other desired subcombust temperature, or have a dial to select a temperature with?

PR note: how do you pronounce “Syqe”? Rhyme with “psych”, “seek” or “sick”? Looks like it was named after the worthy inventor, well and good, but will there be any misunderstandings?

[Paul Armentano responds: 190C. It is explained in further detail in the full text.]

4. sparhawke says:

This will work with Parkinsons? I must get help for my lady.

5. I have many years experience with all forms of ingestion, and I tried these inhalers a few months ago. Cool idea, but whatever pressurized gas is in there burned the hell out of my throat. And the question of the temperature is an excellent one. I think I’ll do some research on that and post a blog on http://weedgear.com about that. Stay tuned.

6. Paul, the full text is not available. BTW, I know you from way back- I was David Hadorn’s sweetie when you came to volunteer in El Cerrito in the late 90’s. Good job staying on course and rising to this level!

[Paul Armentano responds: Nice to hear from you. I have the full text of this paper. If you want it, just e-mail me and I’ll send it to you.]

7. Galileo Galilei says:

Jeez! I wonder if this some of that there
      medical marijuana we keep hearing so much about.

8. theo in NY says:

I suffer from acute neuropathy, severe back pain due to 4 damaged disks and other problems. I need a walker with a seat to get around. I am at the maximum dosage of neurotin. I still get burning pains in my legs. When will cannabis cost the same as oregano?

9. stephen says:

Mexweed. Their is no need for heat because the oil is already decarboxylated (meaning activated) before being suspended in pharma grade propellant. Each puff is about 3mg and each strain provides different terpenes at a metered dose per puff. there is no exhale and it is very effective. Within 5 heartbeats it goes to your head. within 5 minutes whatever wasn’t takin in through the lungs and was swallowed will digest like an edible.

The Natural Cannabis Co currently sells co2 extracted cannabis oil inhalers in Norcal, bay area and sacramento. We released them at the SF Hightimes Cannabis cup held in Santa Rosa. Currently Organicann Santa Rosa , Oakland Organics, Sffogg, 70 and second in san francisco, all about wellness and two rivers and doctors orders in sacramento.

100 puffs retails for $120
      200 puffs retaisl for $190

shopmarijauna.com

10. Ben says:

Stephen. I’m not sure that when you write “about 3mg”, it meets the pharmaceutical definition of a metered dose. Anyway, according to the abstract of the study, this device uses whole cannabis and not oil. No idea how they did it though.