DC Voters Ready to Approve Marijuana Legalization

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director September 18, 2014

A NBC4/Washington Post/Marist pollmajority_support of DC voters released today revealed strong support for Initiative 71, which would legalize adult possession and limited cultivation of marijuana in the District.

The survey showed 65% support for the initiative amongst likely voters, only 33% were opposed and 2% undecided.

The polling data also showed NORML PAC endorsed DC Attorney General candidate Paul Zukerberg leading the field of five with double the support of his closest competitor.

If these figures hold, the nation’s capital will be getting a whole lot greener come November, with legalized adult possession and an Attorney General committed to pursuing marijuana law reform.

You can learn more about and donate to Initiative 71 at the campaign webpage here.

You can learn more about Paul Zukerberg and how to contribute or volunteer for his campaign here.

If you want to help NORML in DC voter turnout efforts, please email erik@norml.org with the subject line “Smoke the Vote.”

You can read the full poll results here.

17 Responses to “DC Voters Ready to Approve Marijuana Legalization”

1. Let’s do this, East Coast! Go DC!!!

2. phrtao says:

For those who play chess – “Check !”

3. Galileo Galilei says:

“The survey showed 65% support for the initiative among likely voters, only 33% were opposed and 2% undecided.”

Does Dr. Andy Harris (R, Maryland) know about this? Surely he and the dark money that supports him will intercede if this passes. He’ll do it ‘as a physician’ to save the children, despite prohibition’s failure despite decades of cruelty.

4. Voice of the Resistance says:

Yes indeed!

5. Miles says:

@phrtao – Playing chess is one of my very favorite things to do while enjoying my favorite herb! For me, it seems to increase my ability to focus and enhances my creativity; definitely not what the DEA has to say about it!

I have no doubt that the prohibitionists will put up some serious defense to what they will see as an attack… Dirtbags!

6. Usernameisused says:

As DC goes, so too the rest of the nation :)

It will now be impossible for candidates and media puppets to laugh off the issue and ignore it during the next presidential race, like they did in the last.

7. TheAntiProhibitionist says:

This makes me very excited. Two states and the District of Columbia are set vote on marijuana legalization for adults this November, along with countless other municipalities. One Santa Fe recently voted to decriminalize pot, and Vegas just voted in a legit medical system. Within my 21-year lifetime I’ve watched marijuana go from a dangerous drug used only by losers to a quite harmless plant used by some of the most inspired and successful people I know. I look forward to seeing this issue brought up nation-wide within the next few years. Kevin Sabet has brought his reefer madness to Oregon, and people are calling him on it all over the Internet. I’m thrilled to see legalization become less of a partisan issue and more of a “common sense” issue.

8. phrtao says:

@Miles – yes “check” but not yet “mate” ! That is when people fight the fiercest so caution is advised. They will no doubt come out with the dirtiest tricks to keep prohibition going.

9. Cupishere says:

I’m glad this measure allows for cultivation.

10. Uncle Sham needs his tax dollars, now more than ever. It is sad to me that profit and taxes are the motivating factor for the plants to come out of the closet… This is about money and the bottom line. All the people against legal cannabis are thugs making money or banking on it staying illegal ie Big Pharma, the privatized prison system and beer/booze companies. These folks have very deep pockets and powerful lobbies steeped in greed and profit. The fact that legal cannabis wold directly affect the bottom line has them grasping for alarmist propaganda. The war on drugs is a war on the American people. A war that has gone on for forty years with no end in sigh. Only people put in cages for life, for a PLANT.