2014 Boston Freedom Rally: New England Gaining Ground

• by Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel September 29, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of attending the 25th annual Boston Freedom Rally, the two-day celebration of marijuana and protest against marijuana prohibition, held on the Boston Common each September sponsored by MassCann/NORML, the NORML state affiliate in Massachusetts.

I have been attending this event since the mid-1990s, and always look forward to spending time with tens of thousands of like-minded people on the historic Boston Common, enjoying the New England autumn.

The Boston Common is the oldest public park in America, consisting of 50 acres of land in the heart of the city, at the southern foot of Beacon Hill, the site of the Massachusetts Statehouse, and it enjoys a storied past.

Go to Marijuana.com to read the balance of this column.

7 Responses to “2014 Boston Freedom Rally: New England Gaining Ground”

1. Evening Bud says:

I’m waiting for some of the big eastern states to start legalizing. Come on you guys, I’ll be happy with any of ’em.

2. TheOracle says:

The question remains: Which east coast state will be the first state to legalize for adult recreational use?

Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, or New Jersey, New York?

Right now in this linear timeline, we are on a course that will make New Jersey the first state on the east coast to legalize. New Jersey needs to replace the jobs and money in Atlantic City lost when casinos closed. What a better place to go to partake of the sacred herb in public than somewhere with an oceanfront view. Christie is voted out; a democrat voted in. The state is hurting for money and jobs, and with the chutzpah New Jersey is known for the ballsy politicians will legalize.

People will be singing I love NJ for the MJ instead of I love NY!

3. Janet Van Stry says:

Janet van Stry Please help! I have trouble walking and desperately want to attend these rallies. Can someone in the Haverhill area help me with transportation? I would be a good candidate for a class action suite as I have 5 qualifications for a certificate. But because I am low income and pretty much housebound, I am pretty much invisible to the powers that be.

Like · Reply · More · Just now

4. Dave Evans says:

@ The Oracle, no New Jersey is not going to legalize marijuana. New Jersey is too in love with corruption to do that. Look, Christie used Sandy Aid Money to bribe mayors all over the state and no wrong can be found. Democrats didn’t even vote for their own candidate this last time as everyone was hurting for Sandy Aid.

Sure all the people I can vote for have already put forward bills to decriminalize even up to 50 grams, and other to legalize; magically nothing ever happens. Virginia is for Mormon Lovers and New Jersey is their Bucket of Cold Water. We’re just too liberal and fascist here for weed to be legal. I couldn’t even get my defense lawyer actually work on the law, he said, “Hey, it is an illegal drug and I do like taking your money”. Even the defense attorneys want prohibition to continue and will not work toward their clients rights. It really is all about the corruption here.

5. HELLO I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS FOR YEARS WATCH EVERY SHOW ON THE MEDICAL MARIJUANA I BELIEVE IN IT FOR THE PEOPLE FOR THE STATES REVENUE FOR GETTING THE PAIN AWAY WITHOUT ANOTHER PILL. I HAVE HAD 2 DIFFERENT CANCERS IN LESS THAN A YEAR . 1ST WAS OVARIAN AND NOW I HAVE BREAST CANCER I AM ON SO MANY OTHER PILLS FOR MANY MEDICAL THINGS FROM ULCERS, STOMACH PROBLEMS FOR MY SANITY AND HIGH BLOOD PREASURE , THYROID, CLOSTEROL,I TAKE 16 PILLS EFORE I CAN GO TO SLEEP
      I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH UROLIGISTS AND GASTEROLIGIST AND LOST ALL MY TEETH BY THE CHEMO THEY STARTED TO SHREAD LIKE ICICLES I THOUGHT I WAS EATING GLASS IM IN PAIN THE CHEMO HAS GIVEN ME CHEMO HEAD AND I HAVE A HARD TIME WALKING FORGETING THINGS AND IM 62 YEARS OLD
      EVERY DR AND EVERY NURSE AND AIDES I TAKLK TO ARE AGAINST IT THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS MIRACLE. I WANT TO DO WHAT I CAN EVEN JUST TO BE A 1ST FOR THEM TO SEE THAT I NEED TO USE THAT INSTEAD OF ALL THE DRUGS I TAKE, I NEED TO RELAX AND HAVE THE PAIN TO STOP . I WANT THIS FOR ILLINOIS WE WERE OK’D FOR IT BUT THEY ARE PUTTING IT OFF FOR ANOTHER YEAR AND NO ONE WILL SIGN MY FORMS AS PROFESSIONALS THERE AGAINIST THE POT AND I BELIEVE IN USING IT IF I COULD GET AROUND I SURELY WOULD HELP MORE THAN I CAN . WHAT CAN I DO TO GET A DR TO SIGN MY FORM I HAVE IT HERE FILLED OUT BUT NONE OF THE DRS DONT KNOW ABOUT IT OR THEY ARE AFRAID OF LOSING BUSINESS . IM SURE THEY SIP ON THE SCOTCH ALL I WANT IS TO BE RELAXED , LOSE SOME PAINS, SLEEP WHEN I NEED TO I BELIEVE IN IT AND DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT ICAN SHARE I LOVE THE MORN I READ THE COMPLETE EDITS AND I KNOW IT WILL HELP
      PLEASE HELP ME GET BETTER SUGGESTIONS TO THE STRAIGHT LACED HIGHER END HIGH CLASS PEOPLE
      IM TOTALLY FOR IT AND I DO KNOW IT WILL HELP ME AND ALL THE OTHERS IM WILLING AND OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS SORRY FOR THE SPELLING I HAVE CHEMO HEAD ITS HARD FOR ME TO REMEMBER HOW TO DO THE EASIST THINGS OF EVERYDAY LIFE AND ITS VERY TRUE DESEASE FROM HIGH DOES OF CHEMO THAT IS MOSTLY STEROIDS
      PLEASE HELP ME TOO WHAT EVER I NEED TO DO TO TRY TO PERSUADE THE LEGAL PART IS OK’D FOR ILLINOIS NOW ITS TO GET THE DR’S TO GO ALONG WITH IT. THEY DONT PASS OUT PAIN KILLERS AND THATS THE WORST AND HEAVY DUTY DRUG THIS IS AN EASY MEDICATION NOT A DRUG BUT A MEDICAL BREAK THOUGH

6. RYANC4281 says:

@ the Oracle

M
      A
      I
      N
      E

Enuff said!!!

7. jen says:

This event was one of the coolest and largest gathering of fellow FREEDOM lovers that I have ever experienced.. WOW Mass you have it good to have this event annually.. Cant wait til next year..
      420 Friendly in Colorado and Loving life