Afroman Remakes “Because I Got High” to Support Legalization

• by Sabrina Fendrick October 15, 2014

Afroman Remakes Because I Got HighNearly fifteen years after the release of “Because I Got High”- a song well known for poking fun at overzealous reefer madness rhetoric – Afroman is ready to jump headfirst back into the marijuana limelight.  Only this time, as an advocate for legalization.

The grammy nominated artist recently teamed up with NORML and Weedmaps to launch a remake of his hit song, turning the hip hop classic into a positive legalization anthem for the 2014 elections. The remix is a new and entertaining way to drive the narrative surrounding the benefits of cannabis law reform, as well as the medical benefits of the plant itself. With election day right around the corner, his latest project is geared towards keeping up the momentum for all the marijuana law reform efforts taking place across the country, and especially upcoming ballot initiatives.

On November 4th, two states and the District of Columbia will be voting to legalize marijuana, and Florida will be voting on a medical marijuana amendment. The timing couldn’t have been better to take, and remake the canna-cult classic. The 2014 version of “Because I Got High” not only challenges old stereotypes, it also seeks to build support and enthusiasm for the three measures proposing to create a regulated pot market for adults, age 21 and over.

Through digital engagement, this song pushes an important political message to a younger, social media savvy voting block, energizing the demographic known to be the among the biggest supporters of ending marijuana prohibition. From glaucoma to funding school construction, the song highlights many of the social, medical and economic benefits of legalization in a fun and informative way.

“NORML is thrilled to have brought Weedmaps and Afroman together to create this unique cultural collaboration merging art, entertainment, and activism into a single campaign that highlights many of the positive benefits of cannabis, and raises awareness for for the legalization initiatives coming up in the 2014 November elections,” said NORML Director of Strategic Partnerships Sabrina Fendrick.

Check out the video and share with all your like-minded friends.  Together, we can #SmokeTheVote!

20 Responses to “Afroman Remakes “Because I Got High” to Support Legalization”

1. Joel: the other Joel says:

The trolls can’t do anything about this great contribution by Afroman.

2. Sandra says:

As a very new medical user, I’m happy to lend my support to this cause wherever I can.

3. Anonymous says:

“FIRE” Marijuana Grow Time-lapse vid @kurupt_gotti feat. @BlackSilverado @TheRealSpice1 & @JhaVoice prod by @ladjobi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5zShHvyC8

4. Raymond C. Walker Jr. says:

The first time I smoked Cannabis I knew it would always be apart of my life. Sparing you all the long story of my life let me say that Cannabis has brought an end to the things that make life unbearable and replaced them with joy and peace. I owe my life to this plant as do so many others. The song is perfectly timed for the upcoming elections. Good luck to all.

5. Joel: the other Joel says:

The first one before the remake, wasn’t really that negative. It was a wise choice to stay home and enjoy the high with a big smile. The mind expands at a good pace during a pleasant high.

6. Derek says:

That is easily the greatest thing ever

7. TheOracle says:

Thank you, Afroman! The Super Bowl ought to pay you to do this song in the halftime show.

8. dk says:

Hmm, the song is nice, but I don’t know about that couch thing. It’s a little too suggestive of the couch potato stereotype. The words were spot on though!

9. Melissa says:

Thanks Afroman! I suffer from severe ptsd and panic attacks. I was on prescriptions for years and decided to switch to medicinal mj. I have literally not had a severe episode in a year and I’m not a complete zombie the way I was on the pills.

10. glenn says:

wow that really was awesome! I liked the original but this version is str8 to the point and hilarious!! Great redo Afroman!!