Study: Vaporized Cannabis Mitigates Treatment-Resistant Diabetic Neuropathy

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director April 7, 2015

Study: Vaporized Cannabis Mitigates Treatment-Resistant Diabetic NeuropathyVaporized cannabis mitigates pain intensity in diabetic subjects in a dose-dependent manner, according to clinical trial data published online ahead of print in The Journal of Pain.

Investigators at the University of California, San Diego assessed the efficacy of inhaled cannabis versus placebo in 16 patients with painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN).

Authors reported: “This small, short-term, placebo-controlled trial of inhaled cannabis demonstrated a dose-dependent reduction in diabetic peripheral neuropathy pain in patients with treatment-refractory pain. … Overall, our finding of an analgesic effect of cannabis is consistent with other trials of cannabis in diverse neuropathic pain syndromes.”

A series of clinical trials conducted by investigators affiliated with the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research at the University of California, San Diego previously reported that the inhalation of whole-plant cannabis is efficacious in the treatment of various types of treatment-resistant neuropathic pain, including HIV-associated neuropathy and spinal cord injury. According to the findings of a 2014 clinical trial published in the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, “At least 10 randomized controlled trials, lasting for more than 1000 patients, have demonstrated efficacy of different types of cannabinoids for diverse forms of neuropathic pain.”

An abstract of the study, “Efficacy of inhaled cannabis on painful diabetic neuropathy,” appears online here.

15 Responses to “Study: Vaporized Cannabis Mitigates Treatment-Resistant Diabetic Neuropathy”

1. mexweed says:

The headline alone was good news! Surely also it would be legitimate to provide a nice picture of the Vaporizing equipment used in the study?

2. Anonymous says:

What the hell is it going to take to get marijuana removed from Schedule 1? The evidence that cannabis has medical power is clearly there, there are MOUNTAINS OF EVIDENCE. I’m so sick of the idiocy I’m gonna f–kin’ puke! People are suffering needlessly. Just legalize it already. Hey prohibitionists, go find yourself another war to wage, you’re inevitably going to lose this one so just pack your bags and get the f–k out! And Obama & Holder, grow a pair and do the right thing, you’re both leaving in 5 minutes anyway. Make the world a better place while you can, redeem yourselves.

3. YearofAction says:

…or you could take Lyrica (which could cause swelling, sucidal thoughts, trouble breathing, depression, adverse interactions with alcohol, tell your doctor if…)

I just read this, then the commercial came on, LOL.

4. Julian says:

I JUST told this to my deceased Godmother’s daughter when she told me that she was planning to move back to El Salvador because her husband’s diabetes was getting worse. Pressure builds up in the eyes like glaucoma and treatment in the average American hospital can last 6 hours or more, involving painful injections with hypodermic needles into the eyes… In El Salvador she’s in and out of the doctor’s office in 30 minutes. Oooor, one could fight all the red tape in Maryland and vaporize some marijuana.
      Aside from dilating blood vessels to relieve painful pressure, cannabis stabilizes the endocannabinoid system, thus preventing the hormonal deficiencies that cause several symptoms of diabetes.
      While I was there, visiting in Maryland after my visit with NORML in Washington DC, I was able to get off my chest that my younger brother had brought some weed on a visit I made years ago while my Godmother was still alive on chemo for cancer. I didn’t want to upset her family by giving her a joint, but God how I wish I knew about vaporizers back then or I would have gladly given her one with an airtight smell-proof supply. She suffered chemo to please her family. But she didn’t have to suffer like that. Most chemo patients die from the weight loss and loss of nutrients and appetite caused by nausea. Vaporized marijuana immediately mitigates these symptoms, at least providing a more dignified death if not prolonging precious life in a state where one can share with their loved ones during their final days. Used preventively, cannabis can suppress cancer, or help other medical procedures take effect.

5. Mark I. says:

Prohibiting the providing natural access to the pain centers of our neuropathic connectors instead of profitable petro chemical experiments with unreasonable delivery systems and ugly side affects shows some ignorance to change in healthcare therapies.

6. bobwv says:

I have 8-10 level 24/7 neuropathy in my left hip and leg from an injury. Cannabis keeps it at 1=2.

As for diabetes. Cinnamon 2000 mg twice a day has my blood sugar in the controlled range at 5.7

7. mexweed says:

Thanks Editor for supplying that photo of a man demonstrating how to use the Volcano (with balloon-inhaler) made in SW Deutschland where most towns have names ending in “-ingen”. Even at $600 I believe it is worth the money compared to 365 Combustion joints destroying THC and supplying that mind-numbin’ monoxide.

But as you may have expected I can’t resist mentioning that you can also Vaporize pretty good with a flexdrawtube one-hitter made with $1.29 worth of garage floor garbage and some #40 screen.

8. Julian says:

@Mark
      It shows the public’s ignorance… Or generally subdued conscience… All of what you described to a prohibitionist pharmaceutical company is their prioritization of profit over people’s lives and well being.
      Insurance wants to treat the human body like a battery in a car… Better not build a good one or the patient will never buy another one.
      Marijuana legalization defies the entire model of saprophytic profitability by introducing the healthiest home-grown preventive medicine ever cultivated by the human species into our price-gouged health care system. Marijuana legalization solves the one most important problem in our broken health care system that Obamacare was unable to fix: legally regulated and commercially and industrially taxed marijuana with subsidized medicinal and education allows PATIENTS and DOCTORS to set (lower) the price if health care instead of jacking up the price of medicine like the price-gouging vultures that multi-national pharmaceutical companies are.

9. MJ Verite says:

10. Eric K. Johnson says:

How much longer can they keep it as Schedule 1? The idea that Cannabis has no medicinal value is patently absurd. Its placement at the top of the schedule wwas political, not scientific. MJ Verite

I’m thinking the day after we die?

(along with hundreds of thousands of other patients in need of Cannabis Therapy)

It’s a joke!…on us!…just not a funny one?