ResponsibleOhio Initiative Qualifies For The 2015 November Ballot

• by Danielle Keane, NORML Associate August 13, 2015

ballot_box_leafThe Ohio Secretary of State’s office yesterday confirmed that a statewide ballot proposal seeking to permit the personal use and commercial production and retail sale of cannabis will appear on the November ballot. Proponents of the measure, Responsible Ohio, gathered sufficient signatures to place the issue before voters as a constitutional amendment.

Ohio now has the opportunity to join Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Washington D.C. as states that have passed laws allowing for the personal possession and consumption of cannabis by adults.

If enacted, the measure would initially establish 10 state-licensed commercial growing sites. (State regulators will have the opportunity to grant additional licenses if these initial production sites do not adequately meet demand.) Commercially produced cannabis will be sold at over 1,000 proposed retail dispensaries.

A minimum of five regional marijuana testing facilities will be established to regularly check the chemical compounds found in the product for adequate labeling for consumers and regulators.

Additionally, residents over the age of 21 will be allowed to purchase a $50 license to grow their own marijuana plants with a limit of 4 plants per household and/or 8 ounces of useable product at a time. The amendment also establishes a non-profit medical marijuana dispensary system to provide access to those patients with a recommendation from a physician. Medical marijuana will not be taxed and will be provided on a needs-based fee system. Commercial marijuana production will be taxed at 5% when purchased for personal use and 15% at the wholesale and manufacturing level.

You can read the full text of the amendment here.

58 Responses to “ResponsibleOhio Initiative Qualifies For The 2015 November Ballot”

1. TheOracle says:

The challenge now is the campaign to Get Out the Vote. The backers have the big bucks it looks like so they’d better not skimp on the money they spend on advertising and gra$$ root$ (pun intended)networks that see to it that younger voters, and other demographic categories that are pro-legalization, show up at the polling places and vote FOR legalization. The scuttlebutt was that they should wait till the presidential election in 2016 for a better turnout of younger voters.

I’d hate to see the Ohio ballot initiative crap out like California’s did. Yes, they can try again in 2016 when the voter turnout ought to be better. It’s a hell of a lot more money all over again, though.

Come on Ohio! First state west of the Mississippi to legalize adult recreational. State, not like DC, a state! Yeah, the Buckeye State, yeah!

2. I’ve been waiting 48 years for something like this to finally happened! I’ve lived all over the world been in different cultures for many many years and you’re damned Stockholm just everywhere and from what I’m seeing for example and Amsterdam people don’t raise a big deal about it they go in have a smoke go home or go to the gym or whatever I mean it’s finally a great moment in my life when Ohio finally wakes up.! Just wanted to put my 2 cents in there even though it’s awfully we can always go to mouth but it’s good to have it in because I’ve got something going on with my lungs and it just is falling into place really good peace on everyone and may your life be more tolerable now in your own head.

3. jim says:

just hope it’s not over price

4. I’ve been waiting 48 years for something like this to finally happened! I’ve lived all over the world been in different cultures for many many years and lived in Amsteerdam and Stockholm just everywhere and from what I’m seeing for example and Amsterdam people don’t raise a big deal about it they go in have a smoke go home or go to the gym or whatever I mean it’s finally a great moment in my life when Ohio finally wakes up.! Just wanted to put my 2 cents in there even though it’s awfully we can always go to mouth but it’s good to have it in because I’ve got something going on with my lungs and it just is falling into place really good peace on everyone and may your life be more tolerable now in your own head.

5. William says:

I will not be supporting this monopolizing law. Requiring a license to grow? No thanks. Can only have a few plants with 8 ounces total? Nope again. Creates a growing monopoly to supply the entire state? Nah, I’m not gonna do it. No industrial hemp, caregivers cannot grow for patients, only TEN farms statewide? No, no, no. Fuck these guys and their draconian laws. LEGALIZE IT, don’t just ease up on restrictions.

6. RUT says:

This could be huge because of the high population of Ohio would make it the largest state to legalize. This could get the young to the ballot box and give rock the vote new life. Propaganda and scare tactics were used effectively here in Florida. The best add was one featuring a black and white picture of former supreme court justices claiming that they believe a voter initiative is bad because our great lawmakers could not craft the bill only implement it. VOTER INITIATIVES ARE THE WAY TO GO BUT YOU HAVE TO SHOW UP ON ELECTION DAY! VOTE,VOTE

7. Jim says:

I live in Ohio I’m voting for it.

8. Dealio says:

Ok so a 50 dollar license to grow your own. So you’re on a list that the government has access to that states you’re growing pot at your house. Will the public have access to this information? Is a licensed home grower subject to surprise inspections? Like, if I get caught with five plants during an inspection, what kind of trouble would I be in? Or if I was growing without a license? What about seeds? Can I get my own, or do I have to purchase from the cartel of ten privileged growers? Lots of questions surrounding this iffy legalization initiative.

[Editor’s note: Problems with cannabis prohibition far outweigh legalization questions. Cannabis is not at all likely going to go from illegal to parity with alcohol consumers (after today’s alcohol access has evolved over a 85 year period of time).

Reforming cannabis laws post-prohibition is a lot more desirable and easier than during pre-prohihibition.]

9. Anonymous says:

Apparently, the only states that have any chance at legalization are the remaining 22 of 26 that allow initiative/referendum (they allow voters to sign petitions to get legalization on the ballot, the other states DON’T… pathetic!), see http://ballotpedia.org/States_with_initiative_or_referendum Looks like all the other states are SOL (unless their legislators step up and do the right thing).

10. Bob Constantine says:

The evidence is clear, you don’t own your own body in Ohio. BUT, if the measure passes and you pay the state $50 they won’t lock you up for growing a few pot plants. Aren’t you glad you live in a free country? How thoughtful of the masters to let the slaves dance on Saturday night.