Study: Medical Marijuana Laws Associated With Decreased Obesity

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director December 1, 2015

cbd_trichomesThe enactment of statewide laws permitting the use of cannabis for therapeutic purposes is associated with an annual reduction in obesity-related medical costs, according to data published online ahead of print in the journal Health Economics.

Investigators at Cornell University in New York and San Diego State University in California reviewed twelve years of data from the CDC’s Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to examine the effects of medical marijuana laws on body weight, physical wellness, and exercise.

Researchers reported, “[T]he enforcement of MMLs (medical marijuana laws) is associated with a 2% to 6% decline in the probability of obesity. … Our estimates suggest that MMLs induce a $58 to $115 per-person annual reduction in obesity-related medical costs.”

For those age 35 or older, authors determined that the passage of medical cannabis laws is “associated with an increase in physical wellness and frequent exercise consistent with the hypothesis of some medicinal use of marijuana.” For younger adults, researchers theorized that obesity declines were the result of less alcohol use.

They concluded, “These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that MMLs may be more likely to induce marijuana use for health-related reasons among older individuals, and cause substitution toward lower-calorie recreational ‘highs’ among younger individuals.”

The findings are similar to those of other recent observational studies, such as those here and here, concluding that cannabis use is associated with reduced body mass index and obesity.

The abstract of the study, “The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Body Weight,” appears online here.

18 Responses to “Study: Medical Marijuana Laws Associated With Decreased Obesity”

1. Raven says:

And yet another joke for rosenberg. I’m laughing so hard that my insides hurt.

2. Matthew DUFUR says:

I lost 172lbs. One puff and a climb on a local mountain a few time per week is what worked for me. This activity has blossomed into hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mt. Shasta, Arches and several other climbs or major backpacking trips. I feel better at 55 than I did in my 20’s.

3. mexweed says:

The value @Matthew got out of “ONE PUFF” should be an inspiration to any who feel guilty about not getting more exercise but don’t do anything decisive to make it happen. Get all your gear ready and committed to go out and self-exert, THEN serve the last minute EST energizer slow toke, like Beethoven for a last half minute just before finishing the First Movement of the Ninth with those martial Brahms Jo han nes Brahms Jo han nes tromping rhythms.

To me it’s an enigma that anyone thinks they have to torch away a whole half gram, $5 or more, especially when microdosage utensils (25 mg per toke) exist including ones you can make for $1.29 from parts left lying in your Garage by the previous god.

The $ecret $acred money$aving key to flexdrawtube one-hitters is that you draw sloooooooow continuously, mentally counting up to 19 and more, whilst holding the lighter flame tip far enough below the screened crater entrance where the 25-mg sifted herb lies, to assure that 385F/197C air goes in and most cannabinoid value is first fully exvaporized before any Combustion starts, and when it does, you’re just finishing off some tasty cellulose leftovers.

At some point we’ll get a suitable cartoon “thumbnail diagram” scanned onto the free wiki article “12 Easy Ways to Make Vape Toke Utensils”, with caption “More Marley, Less Monoxide” showing how to use the utensil.

4. Anonymous says:

AT PAUL A I URGE YOU TO WATCH THE FIRST TWO FREE EPSIODES;

As I’m sure you’ve heard, my friends over at The Truth About Cancer,
      are airing an 9-day miniseries documentary called: “The Truth About
      Cancer: A Global Quest” this holiday weekend.

You can watch absolutely for free (but it ends TODAY, November 30th).

This dramatic docu-series follows one man’s “quest for the cures”, as
      he travels the world interviewing the topmost doctors and scientist
      and the patients they treat.

If you’re ready to discover the truth and how you can not only prevent,
      but even treat and beat cancer, then you MUST SEE what some are
      calling ‘The Event of the Year’.

This powerful series is already an internet sensation with over
      4 million combined views and this series will simply blow
      you away with how much you’ll discover.

5. Anne says:

@ Paul if you watch the videos you will understand why Marijuana is illegal; thanks!”
      PS please post all my links);ANNE ROCKWELL USA

6. Anne says:

“The Truth about Cancer”;Episode 8: Cannabis, Nature’s Epigenetic Switches, Peptides & Healing with Micronutrient Therapy; (only the first two videos are free at this tiem). Anne~

7. Peggy says:

This is so true I moved 2 1/2 yrs ago & have no connects to marijuana after smoking for 47 yrs (OH Ya no withdrawals)I am retired & sit on my butt most the time now & don’t have friends here. When I smoked it would make me ambitious I could clean for hrs. & not even think of food. I have gain 40 lbs. in 1 1/2 yrs. & my boyfriend has gained 55 lbs.! Livingston Tx is a one house town & I think the horse ran away lol!