Poll: Swing State Voters Favor Marijuana Legalization

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director May 11, 2016

thumbs_upSolid majorities of voters in the swing states of Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania support the legalization of marijuana for adult use, and super-majorities in Florida and Ohio support efforts to medicalize the plant, according to polling data provided today by Quinnipiac University.

Fifty-six percent of Florida voters believe that state law ought to allow “adults to legally possess for personal use small amounts of marijuana.” Only majorities of self-identified Republicans and respondents over the age of 65 oppose legalization.

With regard to the question of permitting medical cannabis access, 80 percent of Floridians say that “they will vote for a constitutional amendment this November allowing for medical marijuana.” The 2016 ballot measure, entitled the “Use of Marijuana for Debilitating Conditions,” will appear before voters as Amendment 2. Passage of the amendment would permit qualified patients to possess and obtain cannabis from state-licensed facilities. Support for the measure is over 70 percent among every party, gender, education, age and ethnic group measured, Quinnipiac reported.

In Ohio, 52 percent of voters endorse “allowing adults to legally possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use,” and 90 percent support “legalizing the use of medical marijuana.” Legislation to permit the limited use of non-herbal cannabis formulations by qualified patients was recently passed by Ohio House lawmakers and awaits further action by the Senate. A separate, more comprehensive medical marijuana measure sponsored by the Marijuana Policy Project may appear on the November 2016 Ohio ballot.

In Pennsylvania, voters support by a margin of 57 percent to 39 percent the notion of “allowing adults to legally possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use.” As in Florida, only Republicans and voters over 65 years old expressed majority opposition to legalization. Quinnipiac pollsters did not ask voters to provide their opinions with regard to medicinal cannabis, which state lawmakers just legalized in April.

The Quinnipiac survey results are similar to those of other recent national polls, such as those by reported by CBS, Gallup, and Pew, finding that a majority of Americans now support ending marijuana prohibition.

21 Responses to “Poll: Swing State Voters Favor Marijuana Legalization”

1. Julian says:

Eat THAT Hillary Cilnton! Women, men, swing voters, goat hoarders, they all vote for marijuana!! Eat it!!!

• Julian says:

Well, I suppose if I’m going to go on a rant, I could spell “Clinton” properly!
        GOD I love these polls! What a slap in the face of the establishment?

2. elelo says:

Legalize nationally. Help us Obama. You will be remembered.

• Fumario Ortega says:

Obama won’t do it. He’s getting too much money from Big Pharma and the prison/industrial complex to keep it illegal for now. Once his community center (I mean library) gets built and furnished in Chi-town he’ll twist arms amongst the powers that be or just draft the race rabble rousers to agitate for full legalization.

• eleo says:

I still not giving up on Obama! Since, he became president cannabis has come to the forefront and four states are completely legal something never accomplished before. One last surprise would not hurt. HELP US OBAMA!

3. Anonymous says:

As California goes, so goes the nation.

4. Pufferfish says:

I haven’t heard much about New York’s legalization efforts lately. I thought NY would have a vote to legalize in 2016? What’s going on?

[Editor’s note: Unfortunately NY is not among the 20 plus states that have binding voter initiatives. If cannabis is to be legalized in NY legislation must first be passed and signed into law by the governor.]

5. Calvin Hopkins says:

I support full legalization of all marijuana usage in Florida. It is the BEST pain reliever for neuropthy that exists! I am 69 years old and a Vietnam veteran collecting disability for agent orange exposure which caused the diabetes that cause the neuropathy. Wake up, America!

• Mark Mitcham says:

Good for you. Agent Orange was a crime in so many ways. I’m so sorry. It’s criminal to deny anyone the medicine they might need; it is particularly outrageous when the person is a veteran in your situation.

Further, I believe anyone over 50 should automatically receive a cannabis medical card in the mail, for standard geriatric aches and pains! I’m 55, no spring chicken myself; my relationship to cannabis has evolved over time from party, to protest, to medicine. (There are intersections of the sets here, and that’s okay too.)

With those majorities opposed in Florida being self-identified Republicans, and those over 65, I think it is a shame that those who might need cannabis the most have been tricked into avoiding it. Tragic.

But not you, buddy! That’s good news.

Respects.

• Me says:

I am right there with you on the diabetes and Florida front. I have had type 1 diabetes for over 20 years, since I was 10 years old. Every now and again I get hits of diabetic neuropathy in my feet and diabetic retinopathy in which marijuana can help with both. Hopefully 2016 will be our year to get medical legalized and the opposers won’t lie and scare the undecided voters again.

6. Mark Mitcham says:

The People are coming around! Maybe it’s true after all, that you can’t fool ALL the people ALL the time. I was starting to wonder about that! It feels like we’re coming out of a long dark tunnel.

7. Jeffrey P. Lovelidge says:

Don’t paint all Republicans with the same brush. I know plenty who agree with legalization, including myself.

• Fumario Ortega says:

Well done! I am a staunch fiscal conservative but a social libertarian. Don’t put it in my face, but do what you want to do in the privacy of your own abode. Just free the weed and those prosecuted (and persecuted) as a result of it’s prohibition. God put the plant here (as he did all plants) for man to use responsibly. Grapes and Ganga are on par and very beneficial to man’s psyche. We should be able, as adults of legal age, to choose our off duty relaxant. Period!

• mexweed says:

What the biblescribes didn’t spell out but plausible: the Grapevine was the Original Serpent in the garten of eatin’. A plant that could grow up trees and fences like a snake and “hand” dangerously fermentable grapes to you seasonally (the “Fall”, get it?) on a branch like a hand sticking out…
          over tens of milleniums this plant has been humanizing its gesture repertory to get our help planting seeds worldwide.

Cannabis proved helpful to feed the cookstove in airtight hovels where mom, dad and kids breathed cannafumes while eatin’ (“In the sweat of thy brow thou shalt eat bread”– they forgot to mention sidestream smoke.) It was also used for roofthatching and thousand other things.

The women (woodmen) didn’t run out and kill the animals, their job was to drag the weedstalks to the house, seeds fell off into local human dungpile(s), trillions of cannaplants sprouted, studied human metabolism and designed their evolution accordingly.

• Mark Mitcham says:

Bring your people, my friend!

• eleo says:

Glad to hear many republicans are in favor of legalization. I might even change party, if more republicans come out in favor.

8. Anonymous says:

idk what Pennsylvania is doing just now, I hope some of the bills they are trying to pass, makes their way to Wolf’s desk. But idk if he’ll actually sign a recreational marijuana bill. I have high hopes though, as he is our most, (Only) liberal Governor. Tom Corbett would never have even passed the Medical Marijuana Bill. There’s a lot which wouldn’t be the way it is now, if Corbett was still in.

Honestly if anyone would pass a bill as such, Tom Wolf would be that person. I believe he’d pass a more free Medical marijuana bill faster, but I can not say what he’d really do.

I guess we’ve just got to wait and see if it even makes his desk.

9. Denny E Strausser Jr says:

I guess we’ve just got to wait and see if it even makes his desk.

10. Galileo Galilei says:

Charlie Parker always seemed to be in some kind of swing state.