• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director February 28, 2017

take_actionRepresentatives Tom Garrett (R-VA) and Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) have introduced bipartisan legislation in Congress to exclude marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances Act, thus providing states with the exclusive authority to regulate the plant how best they see fit.

The “Ending Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017” removes the cannabis plant from the CSA so that it is no longer scheduled under federal law. This legislation gives states the power and flexibility to establish their own marijuana policies free from federal interference.

Individual states are “more than capable” of deciding their own cannabis policies, Rep. Garrett explained in a prepared statement.

According to polling data released last week by Quinnipiac University, 59 percent of Americans endorse legalizing the adult use of marijuana, and 71 percent of voters — including majorities of Democrats, Independents, and Republicans, believe that state governments, not the federal government, should be the ultimate arbiters of marijuana policy.

With the recent confirmation of militant marijuana prohibitionist Jeff Sessions to the position of US Attorney General, and with comments from the Trump administration warning of a coming federal crackdown in adult use states, our best defense is a strong offense.

Please take time today to contact your federal elected officials and urge them to act on passage of the “Ending Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017.” You can do so by clicking here.

Speaking earlier today before the National Association of Attorney Generals, Session’s doubled-down on his reefer rhetoricdenying scientific facts that legalizing cannabis access is associated with lower rates of opioid abuse (“Give me a break,” he responded) and urging state AGs, “[W]e don’t need to be legalizing marijuana.”

If the Justice Department won’t listen to reason, then we must take this issue out of its hands. Act now to pass the “Ending Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017” to ensure that medical marijuana patients and others are protected from undue federal interference.

137 responses to “Federal Legislation Introduced To Exclude Cannabis From The Controlled Substances Act”

1. Matt says:

“MAYBE SCIENCE WILL PROVE I’M WRONG” echoes wrong….wrong… wrong…..wrong…..wrong….

(Sessions attacking the Post story).

2. Matt says:

Hi all. As my final post on this article….just wanted to offer something that is helping me through these hard times—inspiring music. I listen to all kinds of music, all genres, currently, it is the powerful “Halo” by Beyonce, Heaven knows we and our brothers and sisters could all use an angel right now. Music truly relaxes the soul and calms the mind. And INSPIRES. So this is my last post on this article, but of course I will be watching for more news. But if you are feeling low, like I am during these horrible times for legalization, thinking of our friends in the shops and terrified of the crackdown, turn on some of your most powerful and inspiring artists. We are going to win this fight. No matter if Sessions shuts us down, we all know legalization will NEVER stop. Peace, and let’s stay strong. I will be back for the next update. M

• Matt says:

This post is EXCLUSIVE to NORML mods……

Thank you SO MUCH for finding my post. I apologize sincerely for my orginal total ignorance. WOW, you folks are amazing. I am so sorry for my anger, I was just trying to, well, ensure what I considered a good post, wend though

Thank you, I will work on emotion, tone, and length of my posts.

Sometimes……the idea of Sessions abusing, starting and continuting to rip up, tear it down, bulldoze, DESTROY, it hurts me, every time I think about how Jeff Sessions is taking that NEXT step…..abusing our progress, the son of a bitch wants to now take it all apart. Because he’s to STUPID, to understand reality. Jeff Sessions,….is a moron.

My point is stand your ground, do whatever your can. Because they are coming. DEA considers ALL PRESENT, FELONS. Trust me. Here they coooooooome. I know they are NOT, but a legit concern.

3. Jason v says:

Guys please pass the link to this page everywhere you can. We need as many people signing this as possible.

4. Anonymous says:

do not know what happened to music post. NOT appreciated. No time for this at ALL.

5. Can't stump the Trump! says:

Sessions is a man who upholds the law as it is written. That is good! All we on the MJ side need to do is push the Demos (some who oppose legal MJ like Feinstein) and the Republicans (who back states’ rights) to go with the flow and the prohibition will go!

Besides, there is enough “good news” on the MJ front to make a case with a man like Trump, who is a pragmatist.

6. Doesn’i Mr. Sessions’s have a KKK rally to attend?

• MSimon says:

The Klan is a Democrat organization.

Robert Byrd is a fine example.

====

Seriously. What I do when I want to change minds is educate. Attacking is counter productive.

Suppose only 50% of Prohibitionist minds can be changed. That gets us from 60% to 80%. That means we are getting whole Republican States well past 50% support. That is what we need. States.

The temper tantrums I see around here are not useful.

• Fact-check says:

The KKK is a terrorist organization who use racism to disguise the use of legal infiltration to incite fear and steal the property of minority communities.
          Its not clear if your statement goes back to a time when southern Democrats represented fascist ideals of voter supression, but do you have to look that hard at where white supremacists are supporting today? Bannon as Chief Stategist? The GOP support despite Trump’s repeated failure to condemn white nationalist support? This was news last year:

Exactly who do you think youre fooling?

7. jim says:

I’d call my senator, but Toomey doesn’t answer his phone or listen to his constituents. He’s basically a GOP yes man.

• Mark Mitcham says:

Then I strongly encourage you to click on the green “act” tab and send an email.

• Julian says:

Wait a minute Mark; While Im inspired by the encouragment to click the Act! Tab, (good work; go get’m!) in this case she should keep calling. Call their federal office. Call their local office. Visit their websites and track down where theyre going to be. Of course this is easier to do before an election and GOP Trump-chumps arent running like scared chickens from town halls like theyre on fire… but its very important to call our federal Congressman:
          202-224-3121 (Switchboard US Congress).
          Make it personal but respectful. Staffers dont get to read every email, they just feel compelled to respond after a dozen voting constituents send the same letter.
          But they have to answer a question if they answer the phone. Then follow up after they say “I have no idea.” It wears them down. Dont give up.
          Hell, Ive got to deal with Cruz and Cornyn. They respond to marijuana states rights letters with “I agree with the DEA.” (Hint: NOT a state agency Senators!) Theyre staffers dont always answer either: and when they do its Senator Cruz’s office! What can one possibly expect to credibly achieve? “Please tell the Senator not to flop like a spineless fish on mandatory minimums? Woops… too late.” No, it’s not easy being respectful to a guy who looks like he never got any in high school. Or college. Or… Congress. But we have to at least try so they know what respect IS. So call. Its fun to hear them studder and squirm at the word “marijuana.”

• Mark Mitcham says:

I stand corrected; “keep calling back” is better advice.

I just wanted to promote participation by suggesting the easier option, in case “jim” was becoming frustrated. An email is better than no contact at all.

But you’re right, a phone call is better than an email.

• Julian says:

Haha.. I called “Jim” “she”… touché, I suppose we both stand corrected! 🙂

8. tim says:

which bill number is this, 2 are to in house to respect states and 1 for reclassifying it. the 3 are HB331, HB715, HB975

9. Matt says:

A nice Jeff Sessons ATTACK, and for our small business….yes, including our weed.