Vote Expected Tomorrow On Medical Marijuana

• by Justin Strekal, NORML Political Director July 26, 2017

Medical marijuanaTomorrow, the Senate Appropriations Committee will have to decide: Will they protect our nation’s 2 million lawful medical marijuana patients or subject them to the wrath of Attorney General Jeff Sessions?

The amendment they will be debating, known as Rohrabacher-Blumenauer, simply prevents the United States Department of Justice from spending any of our tax dollars enforcing federal marijuana prohibition against the 30 states which have now, or are in the process of, implementing a medical cannabis system.

Tell your Senators to protect patients by supporting the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer Amendment

There is NO moral reason to punish qualified patients and veterans from accessing marijuana for its therapeutic effects. Recently released data has revealed that the enactment of medical cannabis access is associated with lower rates of opioid abuse and mortality, and does not negatively impact workplace safety, teen use rates, or motor vehicle safety.

Yet, in a letter to members of Congress on May 1, Sessions demanded the end of Rohrabacher-Blumenauer, citing: “The Department must be in a position to use all laws available to combat the transnational drug organizations and dangerous drug traffickers who threaten American lives.”

This is the delusional leadership we have coming out of the Justice Department. A man who equates those suffering from PTSD, cancer, AIDS, and other dire medical conditions to members of violent drug cartels.

We cannot allow Jeff Sessions to be the only one communicating with Congress. SEND A MESSAGE TO YOUR SENATORS NOW.

44 Responses to “Vote Expected Tomorrow On Medical Marijuana”

1. Jay Benjamin Cohen says:

Please don’t limit my access to the medication that helps my issues.

2. Chase McNarley says:

Weed helps so many across our country. Don’t take something away that is finally actually treating symptoms that are so hard to live with.

3. Mark Ray says:

Multi millions of dollars will be lost if not signed.The Black Market will thrive and crime will increase easily by 5 fold.Over 2 million people use MMJ for many different ailments and you think we have a Heroin problem now-watch what happens if this isn’t signed tomorrow!!

• Denny Strausser Jr says:

I agree. If Jeff Sessions were to get his way, the black market would just get richer.

And the opiod epidemic would just get worse. It’ll just make things worse, if they don’t protect the medical marijuana patients. Cannabis works better than my anti-depression medication which I am on. Nothing works as good as cannabis. It is also time to take it off the Controlled Substances thingy. LOL.
        It shouldn’t be schedule 1, it shouldn’t be on there at all. Doctors should be allowed to prescribe it to me. And they ought to have an insurance plan that would pay it for me. Or at least allow me to grow a supply.

I bet the next person running for president will have it as part of their plan… at least I hope so. But we still have to wait 3 more long years.

I would smoke some now, if I could.

I hope legalization is around the corner.

4. Rebecca Southwick says:

I should have the right to treat my illness with a natural medication. Pharmaceuticals are poison..

• Jim says:

That is a foolish statement Rebecca. I’m all for freeing the weed (as are most on here). But weed isn’t going to give a kid immunity to Measles, Mumps, Roubella, or Chicken Pox.

It’s not going to fight infection or kill Cancer (although it will help your body fight it by increasing the amount you can eat).

The point her is: Don’t fall into the hysterical trap of spouting bullshitt arguments. That’s what our opponents do. Pharmaceuticals save millions of lives each year. To say otherwise is to put yourself out there with the “Reefer Madness” people.

• Julian says:

Jim, you need to learn the difference from a vaccine and a synthetic patented pharmacuetical drug. Whole plant cannabis is vastly superior to the FDA approval process.

• Anonymous says:

I know the difference very well thanks. I was responding to a blanket statement that said “Pharmaceuticals are poison”. They are not. Even the synthetic painkillers you reference have their place. I like to smoke as well as anyone. And if I had some sort of chronic pain, I’d definitely be on the list for Medical MJ.

But if I’m getting a heart valve replacement, pot is simply NOT the answer. You need a chemical that is going to knock you out AND stop your heart and breathing so that the doctors can do their work. You get the picture. Pot is not an option for serious surgery.

This is just a single case in point. There are tons of others.

Again, I’m no fan of big Pharma and am not under the impression that they are somehow “good” people. BUT to give a blanket statement like that is counter productive to the cause, because it’s just as stupid as Jeff Session’s remarks about pot.

• Pete says:

And Sperm counts drop to 50% in the western world..Thanks Big Pharma.

5. Jack Barone says:

Enough with the antique lies that tell you this is a harmful drug.

6. Jason Huber says:

PLEASE just let it happen. It’s honestly just a matter of time- why not just make it happen already? I use it for back pain. Its expensive to have medical here in NJ too. Dr fee’s every 90 days, NJ registration fees, etc etc. It’s still far superior to taking xanax and opiate painkillers every day multiple times a day which caused me to nod off all the time and forget everything like I had dementia. Life is amazing off those drugs and using marijuana instead. This has never killed one alive mammal to date. It’s said to be impossible to take enough to overdose as well (15 lbs w/ in 15 mins or less would have to be ingested- impossible even if one tried. Can’t say that for any other drug on Earth.)

7. Anonymous says:

It saved me

8. I have stage 6 fibro, plus Neuropathy, osteoarthritis , & Marfan Syndrome.
      With Marian Syndrome I am missing a chromosome the effects all connective tissue. I am literally degenerating ever fiber of my being, every organ, bone,, the whole body is made up of connective tissue. My spine is also a mess. I have crazy muscle spasms.. I want my constitutional right to use, cannabis for my care. I have also had 2 forms of cancer and some other issues not mentioned. I know being this ill is rare, but it is all the more reason I should have access now. I have the right to live without constant suffering. I raised my children, paid a mortgage but had no way to know my health would fail. I need help now. I am allergic to most pain medication and many pharmaceuticals. I live in a 7 on a 1-10 pain scale.. I am asking, Praying for a chance at a better quality of life through Cannabis. Thank You

9. Do we really need to remind you to do your job? Do as the people say or lose your job.

10. Mark Mitcham says:

Where are all of Trump’s little trolling bitches now? About how Trump and Sessions are all about states rights, and would never hurt the economy by eliminating mmj jobs? Hmmm?

Where’s that little bitch MSimon now, anyway? Too chicken-shit for an honest conversation, apparently. But we knew that already.

Trump supporters simply suck.

• MSimon says:

During the election season I believed Trump (States Rights) was no worse than Clinton on cannabis.

It may be that Trump was blindsided by Sessions. Sessions was at least somewhat conciliatory to cannabis 6 months ago.

I believe the reason Trump wants Sessions gone is not the real reason. Or not not the only reason.

Kid Rock for Senate may change Trump’s mind.

• Jason says:

Props to MSimon for coming back and respectfully responding to that. It’s hard enough to come back after believing one of the many many lies that Trump has said, but to then respond to a post with such anger so reasonably… I tip my hat to you sir.

I don’t agree with your politics, but I do respect your response and I appreciate your willingness to admit at least one time when Trump didn’t follow through. Based on my interactions with Trump supporters (and some from the other side too), you are the exception to the rule. You have given me some amount of hope.

• Mark Mitcham says:

@ MSimon,
          Ah, there you are. I’ve missed beating your ass on a regular basis. There is a satisfaction to it, like popping a tick.

Now look. You know damn well that Trump was not “blindsided” by Sessions, so stop lying. Trump chose Sessions, and Sessions chose Trump, because they are ideological soul-mates. They are both corrupt and bigoted pieces of shit, which is precisely what appeals to the typical numbnut Trump supporter such as yourself.

Trump and Sessions will have to meet their maker someday (that being, presumably, Satan himself.) But until such time, neither individual is capable of regret or remorse, or fundamental human decency.

And Kid Rock? You gotta be fucking kidding. I like his music (“Cowboy” rocks, I also love “Bullgod”), but as a politician, he’s just another racist prick like you.

See you at your next ass beating!

• Pete says:

Nice Statement..Troll much?

• Mark Mitcham says:

@ Pete,
          I call for Trump’s little trolling bitches, and you show up. Like a cat chasing a string!

Make an actual political point, and I’ll be happy to rip you a new asshole. But first, you gotta give me something to hit!