• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director January 5, 2018

3410000930_95fc2866fa_zOklahoma voters will decide this June on State Question 788 — a statewide ballot measure legalizing the use, cultivation, and distribution of medical cannabis to qualified patients.

Oklahomans will vote on the issue on June 26 during the primary election. Republican Mary Fallin set the date via an executive proclamation, issued yesterday.

State Question 788 permits physicians to recommend cannabis therapy to patients at their discretion. Patients possessing a state-issued medical license are permitted to engage in cannabis possession or cultivation, or they purchase marijuana products from a licensed dispensary.

Initiative proponents gathered sufficient signatures to place the issue before voters in 2016. However, the vote was postponed because of litigation over contested ballot title language. In a 7 to 1 ruling in April, justices rejected the state attorney general’s rewording of the initiative’s ballot title, which proponents had argued was purposely misleading, and ordered that the measure’s initial language be restored.

Under Oklahoma law, the cultivation or distribution of cannabis is classified as a felony offense punishable by up to life in prison.

Proponents of separate statewide medical cannabis initiatives are gathering signatures in Missouri and Utah. Proponents of a medical marijuana initiative in South Dakota have turned in their signatures and are awaiting a review by the Secretary of State’s office. In November, proponents of a voter initiative effort to legalize and regulate the personal use and retail sale of cannabis in Michigan turned in more than 360,000 signatures in an effort to qualify the measure for the November 2018 ballot.

28 responses to “Oklahoma: Voters To Decide In June On Sweeping Medical Marijuana Ballot Initiative”

1. Safer than alcohol says:

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by Oklahoma.

2. Robby Garrett says:

I am from Oklahoma and a Republican and for FULL BLOWN legalization. This is a medicine so many people need what they don’t need is the government telling them they can’t have it so wrong so please Oklahoma I urge you do the right thing and vote yes..

3. Jo Anne gillespie says:

I want to get involved in getting medical marijuana legal on the June ballot. Please advise.

4. Troy White says:

Its about time . I am probably going to do jail time for getting busted for empty baggie ,Stupid me was threatened by ok county DA totake plea , wanted jury trial . Recieved 1 year probation and same suspended sentence 50 hrs cominity service drugbtrsts 4 times a month and fines , lawler fees and 80 a month probation fers . Already out 5000$ and still owe 2500 $ failed 2 drug test and short 10 hrs com serv so hsve warent . Fsving possible year in county for revocation . My first offence in oklahoma in 15 years I lived here . Might run bsvk to Colorado but dont want hanging over my head . All this over empty bag with pot dust . That is no justice its inhumane

5. Troy White says:

Sorry my spelling . E mail me comments on my post

6. Troy White says:

I need legal help to finnish my case . Ran out of money for lawler and can’t get public defender since I bonded out during original bust . If NORML
      Provides legal help e mail me information , thanks

7. Anonymous says:

Wake up people.. Oklahoma already has a huge drug addiction problem..leading to more crime and homelessness; legalizing this plant is only opening up a bigger can of worms. Marijuana affects the ‘brain’ and for people already demonstrating emotional issues the chances of becoming addicted to it, leading to more powerful drugs, is greatly increased. Unless you have already experienced these addictions in your life or family you may not see the dangers.. however I guarantee it is devastating to anyone encountering it. Legalizing the so-called ‘medical’ marijuana is only the first step the marijuana supporters will take to get the drug legalized for recreational use. This state is already infested with drugs, gangs, violence, corrupt politicians as well as physicians,, Please re-think your position to support this bill!! I understand people suffering pain but there are other ways to treat them.

8. While I am not a marijuana user…it’s just not for me…I believe we must vote YES to help our fellow Oklahoma’s that NEED it for a multitude of ailments. I am a chronic PAIN sufferer and must be in opioids the rest of my life unfortunately and am livid at how many people abuse them and have overdosed. If people coukd LEGALLY use marijuana for their pain and anxiety etc.in Oklahoma I believe the opioid problem would decrease dramatically. OK state needs to catch up with the times and help it’s people by providing safer options instead of punishing people for trying to help themselves. Marijuana users should not be thrown in jail and ripped from their children. We need this option to remedy a multitude of problems in our state. Just because u dont understand something doesn’t mean u should be against or stand idlely by. Be proactive and educate yourselves. Just because u think YOU cannot benefit from something doesn’t mean u should not help others benefit that LEGITIMATELY need it. Help our brothers and sister in need and vote YES. I urge u to get out and vote! Yes register now and Mark ur calendars. Oklahomans need ur action. Thank you. Respectfully