• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director January 5, 2018

3410000930_95fc2866fa_zOklahoma voters will decide this June on State Question 788 — a statewide ballot measure legalizing the use, cultivation, and distribution of medical cannabis to qualified patients.

Oklahomans will vote on the issue on June 26 during the primary election. Republican Mary Fallin set the date via an executive proclamation, issued yesterday.

State Question 788 permits physicians to recommend cannabis therapy to patients at their discretion. Patients possessing a state-issued medical license are permitted to engage in cannabis possession or cultivation, or they purchase marijuana products from a licensed dispensary.

Initiative proponents gathered sufficient signatures to place the issue before voters in 2016. However, the vote was postponed because of litigation over contested ballot title language. In a 7 to 1 ruling in April, justices rejected the state attorney general’s rewording of the initiative’s ballot title, which proponents had argued was purposely misleading, and ordered that the measure’s initial language be restored.

Under Oklahoma law, the cultivation or distribution of cannabis is classified as a felony offense punishable by up to life in prison.

Proponents of separate statewide medical cannabis initiatives are gathering signatures in Missouri and Utah. Proponents of a medical marijuana initiative in South Dakota have turned in their signatures and are awaiting a review by the Secretary of State’s office. In November, proponents of a voter initiative effort to legalize and regulate the personal use and retail sale of cannabis in Michigan turned in more than 360,000 signatures in an effort to qualify the measure for the November 2018 ballot.

26 responses to “Oklahoma: Voters To Decide In June On Sweeping Medical Marijuana Ballot Initiative”

1. Safer than alcohol says:

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by Oklahoma.

2. Robby Garrett says:

I am from Oklahoma and a Republican and for FULL BLOWN legalization. This is a medicine so many people need what they don’t need is the government telling them they can’t have it so wrong so please Oklahoma I urge you do the right thing and vote yes..

3. Jo Anne gillespie says:

I want to get involved in getting medical marijuana legal on the June ballot. Please advise.

4. Troy White says:

Its about time . I am probably going to do jail time for getting busted for empty baggie ,Stupid me was threatened by ok county DA totake plea , wanted jury trial . Recieved 1 year probation and same suspended sentence 50 hrs cominity service drugbtrsts 4 times a month and fines , lawler fees and 80 a month probation fers . Already out 5000$ and still owe 2500 $ failed 2 drug test and short 10 hrs com serv so hsve warent . Fsving possible year in county for revocation . My first offence in oklahoma in 15 years I lived here . Might run bsvk to Colorado but dont want hanging over my head . All this over empty bag with pot dust . That is no justice its inhumane

5. Troy White says:

Sorry my spelling . E mail me comments on my post

6. Troy White says:

I need legal help to finnish my case . Ran out of money for lawler and can’t get public defender since I bonded out during original bust . If NORML
      Provides legal help e mail me information , thanks