Just Introduced: The Marijuana Justice Act is in the House

• by Justin Strekal, NORML Political Director January 17, 2018

Today, Representative Barbara Lee of California along with over a dozen original co-sponsors have introduced the Marijuana Justice Act into the House of Representatives.

“I’m proud to introduce the Marijuana Justice Act – bold, progressive legislation to address the legacy of racial bias in marijuana enforcement and to end the failed War on Drugs,” said Congresswoman Barbara Lee. “Today, we are asking Congress to turn the page on decades of unjust marijuana prohibition and forge a new path forward. It’s past time that we take decisive action to right the wrongs from decades of misguided policies.”

This marks the first time that companion legislation has been introduced in both chambers of Congress to remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

This robust legislation not only removes marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, it also provides a path forward for the individuals and communities that have been most disproportionately targeted by our nation’s failed war on marijuana consumers. As you may be aware, throughout the country African Americans are arrested for violating marijuana possession laws at nearly four times the rates of whites, yet both ethnicities consume marijuana at roughly the same rates.

Click here to send a message to your lawmakers in support of The Marijuana Justice Act now

The Marijuana Justice Act of 2017 would:

• Remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances making it legal at the federal level;
    • Incentivize states through federal funds to change their marijuana laws if marijuana in the state is illegal and it disproportionately arrests or incarcerates minority and poor people for marijuana-related offenses;
    • Automatically expunge federal marijuana use and possession crimes;
    • Allow individuals currently serving time in federal prison to petition a court for a resentencing;
    • Create a community reinvestment fund to invest in communities most impacted by the failed War on Drugs and allows the money to go towards the following programs:
      • Job training;
      • Reentry services;
      • Expenses related to the expungement of convictions;
      • Public libraries;
      • Community centers;
      • Programs and opportunities dedicated to youth; and
      • Health education programs.

As you already know, the ongoing enforcement of cannabis prohibition financially burdens taxpayers, encroaches upon civil liberties, engenders disrespect for the law, impedes legitimate scientific research into the plant’s medicinal properties, and disproportionately impacts communities of color. It is time for federal lawmakers to acknowledge this reality.

So click here and send a message to your federal lawmakers now in support of The Marijuana Justice Act.

After you send your letter so it will stay in their official records, click HERE to find your Representative’s office number and then call their Washington, DC office.

54 responses to “Just Introduced: The Marijuana Justice Act is in the House”

1. Beverly says:

Please support and vote for this legislation. As a nurse, I know alcohol causes crimes because it makes people less inhibited and increases anger. Marijuana actually decreases anger and acting out in anger. It is ridiculous that alcohol abuse which causes organic brain syndrome, liver damage, kidney damage, heaet damage is not a controlled substance and yet marijuana, which decreases violent crime is a controlled substance. The irrational disinformation and emotional response to marijuana by lawmakers decades ago needs to be corrected. Legal sales of marijuana keeps people away from criminal persons who might also sell other dangerous drugs. This Bill makes sense. Let legislation be based on practical outcomes not incorrect, illogical and emotional reaction to marijuana as a controlled substance. Let us get marijuana into legal sales, proper research and tax revenue production. Incarceration of people using or selling marijuana is cost prohibitive & wastes taxpayers money. Be sensible and logical about marijuana

• Jose jurado says:

I agree. If I don’t use a CDL for work and not governed by DOT, then why can’t I consume on my free time? I’m a tax payer, constituent and productive citizen. Maybe when the old timers fall off, Congress can pass this. If it passes now with old timers in, I’d be shocked. It would be a great step forward for the USA to treat its people with dignity and give adults an option.
        Thanks…

• Nita says:

Actually marijuana is largely consumed by older individuals
          I am 66 yrs young and I’ve been consuming marijuana since 1970. I have severe depression & PTSD. Marijuana helps me cope. I am allergic to alcohol & I take as few pharmaceuticals as possible.
          In my life I have gone to college, had a wonderful career in cardiopulmonary therapy, raised a family & paid my taxes. Without the help of marijuana I would probably have successfully committed suicide at some point. Marijuana is truly a gift from the Gods. A perfect herb that has a TON of used.
          Food, Fiber, Fuel & Medicine. Several of our forefathers smoked cannabis. Homesteaders
          carried hops & cannabis seeds to plant. Our Constitution is written on hemp paper. Which is probably why it still exists. It was also legal until 1935. One acre of marijuana is equal to four acres of trees.
          Please end the WAR on God’s perfect gift to the world.

• Molly D says:

I am so so so happy to see another nurse here support NORML! Much love ????

• Jeff says:

We nurse’s need to speaking. Even the American Nurse’s Association have come out with a position statement in favor of marijuana for therapeutic reasons. http://www.theamericannurse.org/2016/11/01/ana-issues-revised-position-statement-on-therapeutic-marijuana/

• Nita says:

I was a cardiopulmonary therapist,now retired. In 1978, when I started my career, marijuana was given by prescription to oncology inpatients. It was the norm. Until Nancy Reagan.
          It is exciting to see research, mostly in Europe,
          discovering new medicinal uses for this miracle plant.

• Tired of crooked politics says:

Finally some common sense..

2. Robert says:

It’s been a complete Injustice to all ! I personally was able to quit my alcohol addiction with it’s help !

3. Kimberly Lallathin says:

I pray we can end the injustice on Cannabis, no plant,no natural herb should be illegal, especially when the FDA and the Government approve more harmful and deadly items. How is it legal and justified to have cannabis as a schedule one with no medicinal value but the same government have 2 patents in it for medicinal value. The benefits outweigh the stigma, it’s time to do the right thing and free the weed. I don’t want to go to jail over saving my daughter’s life. Help us and the million others that want a natural choice not just ones that others can profit from that harm and kill us. I have medical documents that show before and after use, and there’s significant improvements documented, plus I see my daughter. Proof Cannabis is a God given plant meant to be available to those that want or need it.

4. Matt says:

Send a message to your legislators and support this outstanding and forward-thinking bill! Remember where the funds will be going! I know it faces a potential uphill battle, but the time is now and we can get this done! Also, don’t forget to contact your reps. about the upcoming RB amendment on Fri! If we get it renewed we will be even stronger than before, especially if Vermont and others join up and legalize ASAP. Thanks, NORML

• Matt says:

and thanks to the outstanding Sen. Cory Booker, Rep. Barbara Lee, and the great co-sponsors!! You are making a better future happen! We stand with you!

5. Matt says:

and sigh…just a sidestory…

more wasted resources and time…have to catch that evil, dangerous, weed smuggling granny…smh….

poor couple, hope they beat the charges. Wonder if AG Peterson or whomever is Nebraska AG will use this case to try and pull the stupid anti-Colorado lawsuit again, knowing SCOTUS is more conservative now. Sigh…wish the best for them both, hope they beat the charges and enjoy wonderful weed the rest of their days!

Just sad..legalization cannot come soon enough for Nebraska or anywhere.

6. Dr Midas Riff says:

It is not the mandate of government to legislate what is or isn’t allowed to be consumed by people. The very fact that it is “legal” to have sex with a horse in 26 states shows that government isn’t really interested in what “the people” want.

7. Julian says:

I have to chuckle sending this bill to my now retiring Republican climate-denying prohibitionist Representative Lamar Smith… these are bills that make progressive Democrats show up to the polls and teach moderate Republicans they may temporarily have to become Progressive Democrats!

Check out this great Cali-Potumentary on the Green Rush;

8. Audra says:

We need sensible federal legislation and regulation for legal Cannabis.

9. David Dixon says:

I fully support this legislation ? thank you for ur attention to this matter urgently!! ???

10. Julian says:

How I just wish independent news like TYT would post links to our Congressman like we do instead of making passionate talking points with no quick links:

• LegalizeNow says:

TYT isn’t news. They are a bunch of idiots that spew stupidity, fear and hatred non-stop.

• Julian says:

I wouldn’t say that. They put a spotlight on injustice and they do good research. We can’t allow our fear and anger to impede our clinical judgement. That rings true for everyone, right or left.

• Evening Bud says:

LegalizeNow,

You surely must be talking about Fox “News,” the GOP propaganda network. ” . . . bunch of idiots that spew stupidity, fear and hatred non-stop.” Yep, Fox “News.”