Study: Cannabis Effective At Treating Symptoms Of Fibromyalgia

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director March 5, 2018

Pain reliefCannabis therapy mitigates symptoms of the chronic pain condition fibromyalgia and is associated with a reduction in the use of other prescription drugs, according to clinical data published online ahead of print in the Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. An estimated 3 to 6 million Americans are afflicted by fibromyalgia, which is often poorly controlled by standard pain medications.

Israeli investigators assessed the safety and efficacy of inhaled cannabis in a cohort of 26 patients with fibromyalgia. They reported that medical cannabis treatment “was associated with significant favorable outcomes in every item evaluated,” such as reductions in pain and increases in energy.

Most patients also reduced their use of conventional prescription drugs, such as opiates and benzodiazepines, during the trial period. Nearly half of the participants (46 percent) reduced their prescription drug intake by more than 50 percent during the study. Several patients were also able to return to work following the initiation of cannabis therapy.

Researchers concluded, “Medical cannabis treatment had a significant favorable effect on patients with fibromyalgia, with few adverse effects.”

Prior trials evaluating the use of either whole-plant cannabis or synthetic cannabinoids have similarly shown efficacy in patients with the disease. A summary of these prior studies is available here.

The abstract of the study, “Medical cannabis for the treatment of fibromyalgia,” is online here.

26 responses to “Study: Cannabis Effective At Treating Symptoms Of Fibromyalgia”

1. Mark Mitcham says:

I’ve said it before, but when you have a plant that cures such a wide array of seemingly unrelated ailments, one can’t help wondering if it ought to be viewed as a necessary nutritional supplement.

• Jeff Newberry says:

Cannabinoids already occur naturally in our bodies and controls and regulates our immune system and nervous system and when these systems go haywire its due to a deficiency in cannabinoids

2. Julian says:

And to think… I didn’t smoke any weed until I was 18 because I believed Morgan Freeman in the movie Lean On Me when he slapped that joint outta that fat kid’s mouth and said “It killz ya brain cells, son! It killz ya brain cells!”
      I know Mark has heard this story before, Freeman was just acting and I know that joint was probably laced with crack…

…But then Morgan Freeman turns around and becomes a spokesman for marijuana because “It treats my Fy-bro-my-al-juh.”

WTF?!

I know it’s gonna be alright, but I STILL feel decieved!

• Mark Mitcham says:

Julian, believe it or not, I have told your story to others, as a funny yet heartbreaking example of how prohibitionist, reefer-madness propaganda can infiltrate our minds without us even knowing it.

Belief is easy; Truth requires work and effort.

As liberated from the deception as I am, I’m still picking small pieces of reefer-madness shrapnel from my mind, to this very day.

The burden of proof is now on our opponents — I don’t need to prove marijuana is safe; they must prove to me that their opposition to legalization isn’t based on bogus reefer-madness propaganda.

Similarly with Trump. Trump blows Putin in public… but it’s not my job to find Putin’s DNA on Trump’s blue dress — er, I mean suit.

The burden of proof is on Trump’s supporters, to demonstrate how, and in what way, Trump is NOT a fucking Russian operative and a traitor.

And of course, they can’t do it, because Trump is guilty as fuck; so are Pence, McConnell, Ryan, Sessions, and the entire complicit GOP.

So, they lie, and lie, and lie, and lie….

3. Terry Reid says:

I have fibro and other chronic pain illnesses . I would love to come of the amount of painkillers i am on . I am 57 and had fibro etc for nearly 20 years . I would love to get cannibis for pain relief but i dont think it will ever be legal in Scotland in my lifetime . Terry .

• Julian says:

Terry;
        Legalization depends on your participation.

At least participate in non violent civil disobedience… There’s got to be an old castle or a sheep’s pasture you can get stoned in somewhere in Scotland?

• Mark Mitcham says:

Not all of us Americans are xenophobic assholes — many of us welcome immigrants, from all nationalities! Might that be an option? Just a thought…

• Terry. I am 67 had fibro since a child when sent to a school for disabled as they couldn’t find out what was wrong with my tight leg muscles etc etc. I have not long ago started with CBD oil. Super sensitive to meds, so only low dose and after much trial & error, two doses of eleven drops under the tongue, during the day has been a pain saver! Only 250mg. Legal and available at Grape Tree otc.

4. Todd says:

“We the People of the United States, in Order to … insure domestic Tranquility … promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity…” – Preamble of the Constitution.

Thomas Jefferson said “If people let government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny” because he knew Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein would later say “Even if marijuana has current medical uses, I cannot say that Congress acted irrationally in placing marijuana in Schedule 1 (has no currently accepted medical uses)”.

The 8th Amendment of the Bill of Rights says: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted” because the Framers knew that later, as words alone, “Medical cannabis treatment had a significant favorable effect on patients with fibromyalgia, with few adverse effects” might need to affect change, new thinking, and new laws.

Prohibition of weed is cruel and unusual punishment when weed is an alternative to opiates, especially during an opiate abuse crisis. “Most patients also reduced their use of conventional prescription drugs, such as opiates and benzodiazepines, during the trial period.” – NORML on Israeli study

5. LAURA BUSH says:

NEED TO BE A LEGAL MARIJUANA USER: FIBROMYALGIA OSTEOARTHRITIS, AUTOIMMUNE DEFICIENCY OR COMPROMISED

6. LAURA BUSH says:

OPIATES ABUSE AND LOSS OF LIVES!!! I SUFFER ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA AND AUTOIMMUNE SYMPTOMS (MY BODILY PAINS ARE PERSISTENT AND CONSISTENT CHRONIC ACUTE PAIN) LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FLORIDA.. SEN SESSIONS HONORABLE PRESIDENT TRUMP.. STOP OPIOIDS EPIDEMIC AS STUDIES PROVE LEGAL MARIJUANA USERS STATES HAVE DECREASED OPIOID OVERDOSES!! HELLO DO WE HAVE ANY RIGHTS (7 MILLION VOTES TO LEGALIZE USE)

7. Linda says:

Is there any information on which strain(s) are most helpful? The devil is in the details;) I’ve been using CBD 18:1 spray with some benefit, but would love to hear any recommendations. I don’t want to feel high, just pain-free if possible.

Thanks!

8. Jan Blankenship says:

How do you recommend adjusting your meds when incorporating CBD supplements into your treatment? I am currently taking 7.5/325 Vicodin (2x3times/day) for FM and 100 mgs fentanyl 72 hr patch.

9. There might be benefits to marijuana in treating health troubles.

10. LaLa Bush says:

Having Many Chronic/Acute Medical Conditions, as per Mayo Clinic 2004, Fibromyalgia, Soft Tissue Damage (from Autoimmune System Biologically inherited)OsteoArthritis,RA and other Pain induced Medical Problems.Note that I wish to remove Opiates from my System and I’ve done and continue to do all to help alleviate Many Chronic Acute Painful Medical Conditions. However, Pain Meds DO NOT relieve pain of Fibromyalgia! Marijuana does! I ask that the Our Government Grant as Voted to Legalize Marijuana. Take a hard look at Co. for Opioid epidemic all time low. Those who truly suffer are able to introduce Cannabis into their systems for Fast Relief of Pain! The CDC asked Physician to not test Pain Mnmgt. to NOT test Opioid users for THC. Religiously feel that a Plant placed on Earth (as with our Predecessors Plants have so Long been used for Medicinal) Tax Payers that Vote have had their say and Government needs to reschedule Marijuana. Being 60+ I attest that Marijuana is NOT a drug but a HERBAL MEDICINAL Option! Botanical does not lead to use of Other that ppl are OD on(Fentanyl, Heroin etc).Personally I had an OLD Pain Management Dr put me on Fentanyl and Twice called EMT as I Stopped Breathing. Budget and free Marijuana users and concentrate on all the Hard Drugs!