Don’t Let Congress Roll Back Marijuana Protections

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive Director March 20, 2018

One development in our federal government that got a bit lost in the flurry of other headlines this week is that House and Senate leaders are putting the last minute touches on an omnibus appropriations package that would fund the government through the rest of the fiscal year.

Something that many in the marijuana policy space have grown to take for granted is the continuation of a rider that was part of last year’s package known as the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer amendment, which strips away funding from Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the rest of the Department of Justice to prosecute state-lawful medical marijuana programs.

Tell your federal officials to maintain this common sense protection for the 30 state medical marijuana programs and the 2,000,000 plus registered patients nationwide.

AG Sessions wants nothing more than to see these protections go away. In a letter he sent to Congressional leadership last year, he wrote: “I believe it would be unwise for Congress to restrict the discretion of the Department to fund particular prosecutions, particularly in the midst of a historic drug epidemic and potentially long-term uptick in violent crime.”

In the past month, NORML has worked with Representatives Rohrabacher and Blumenauer in recruiting 60 additional members of Congress to cosign a letter of their own to Congressional leadership, which states, “We respectfully request that you include language barring the Department of Justice from prosecuting those who comply with their state’s medical marijuana laws. We believe such a policy is not only consistent with the wishes of a bipartisan majority of the members of the House, but also with the wishes of the American people.”

Given the immense dysfunction in Washington, it is absolutely crucial that Congress not give AG Sessions another inch in his powers to roll back our progress. Further, with ballot initiatives expected in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Utah later this year, we cannot give our opponents another reason to sow doubt. Send a message now to maintain these protections this week in order to ensure that we’re well positioned to win further victories in the days and weeks to come.

22 responses to “Don’t Let Congress Roll Back Marijuana Protections”

1. Judy ClounchMiyakawa says:

DDear Mr Nunes,
      I and many patients like me depend on medicinal marijuana to help traditional medications w the treatment of intractable pain. I fractured my spine a year ago, and at times the pain is so excruciating that I am unable to move. The pain can be so bad that I end up vomiting for hours. The only thing that helps this pain and horrific nausea are edibles. I have medication for the nausea, but it isn’t enough in these situations.
      I have also worked in the medical profession for 40+ years. I have cared for AIDS patients, cancer patients. The only medication that works is marijuana. Dr Abrams did a study early on at the famous AIDS ward at UCSF Hospital. He measured the benefits of marijuana vs the benefits of Marino’s, the medical synthetic of marijuana. Hands fown, the patients using the real marijuana gained more weight, controlled their nausea, and their treatments were better. Before you negate this study, understand that Dr Abrams used USDA grade marijuana from Mississippi grown by the US govt people. It was trucked by the US govt, and monitored by the government.
      So this is a beneficial medication that we need our right to use it protected from Jeff Sessions. He has more than enough to do getting rid of corrupt FBI and DOJ officials.
      Judy Clounch Miyakawa, FNP PA

• Dain Bramage says:

All bullshit.
        This entire comment is designed to protect Trump from Mueller by trashing Sessions.

Shocked? Don’t believe me? Read it again.

It goes like this: marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration, marijuana cultural infiltration…

…and then this.

“…protected from Jeff Sessions. He has more than enough to do getting rid of corrupt FBI and DOJ officials.”

Traitor Trump Troll. Playing on our heartstrings — “You wouldn’t hit a medical marijuana patient, would you?”

I call bullshit.

• Julian says:

She had me at “Marino’s” (Marinol?) Yeah, whole plant marijuana is far superior to synthetic Marinol, anyday. People figure that one out pretty quick… even more quickly than a post on a NORML blog…

• Julian says:

UNLESS… “Marino’s” is a family-owned Italian restaurant using secretly infused whole plant cannabis in their recipes…

• Dain Bramage says:

Julian, it is a chilling piece of propaganda, because it is designed precisely for people like you and me. It tells us exactly what we agree with, and exactly what we want to hear, all the way to the end… then the propaganda: specific, precise targeting as part of the current White House attacks of the CREDIBILITY OF ANYBODY WHO DARES TO ATTEMPT TO HOLD TRUMP ACCOUNTABLE.

I missed it too, at first glance. But this is clearly fascist alt-right propaganda, regardless of its source, whether that be Russian Troll Farm, or American traitor.

• Dain Bramage says:

Trump is getting ready to start a war. He would nuke the entire planet before he would let anyone challenge his power, which comes from a collaboration between the GOP and Russia.

This is some deep fascist hell we are barreling toward, mark my words.

2. TheOracle says:

Too bad the States can’t do what Canada is doing. Too bad many of us in the Prohibitionist States can’t come out of the cannabis closet, let alone have that kind of capital against Big Weed. Personal cultivation definitely needs to be legal, too. Thanks, Peter! XOXO, Handsome!

3. Dain Bramage says:

I did it! (Of course, I used my real name.)

C’mon, Leroy! Would it kill you to click the link and send a letter? We could use a little help here! If you actually support marijuana legalization, that is.

• Leroy says:

Probably wouldn’t kill me, although it seems I’m not supposed to participate here. Perhaps this sativa strain has me a little paranoid, but I see the norml webmaster/mod opted to exclude my last 3 or 4 comments from being published. Instead, it looks like they prefer their liberal guard dog as the unopposed voice of reason around here. Wish it were more surprising.

By the way, on a random note, I don’t think Trump should have called your boy Putin to congratulate him on winning that sham election, but I don’t think it was okay for Obama to congratulate Putin in 2012 either. It’s not like we were unaware of Russian attempts to infiltrate American interests at that time so why the double standard? Can anyone enlighten me? Serious question. If it’s published, that is.

4. Charles says:

It should be up to the States that have Legalized, stop the unnecessary Federal government interference and focus on issues that matter. Protect the rights of the American people and protect the marijuana amendments that should be passed!

• Dain Bramage says:

We’re going to have to abandon states’ rights as a tactic, it was never the central issue, and it is leading to the fragmentation of the “United” part of USA. This plays right into the hands of Putin and the anti-democratic oligarchs.

And that’s bad.

• Dain Bramage says:

I was never comfortable with “states rights” as a legalization tactic. First, it is historically used to legitimize racism and promote white supremacy; at best it is a double-edged sword. Also, it is an academic and legalistic matter, and not directly related to the social justice matters surrounding marijuana prohibition.

It has been a tactic that has been amazingly successful so far, one could readily argue, as state after state legalizes it… but there may be a down side that is just now becoming evident: the fracturing of the USA.

Maybe this is why Putin pays Dana Tyrone Rohrabacher?

Here’s the rub: we always assumed, prior to Traitor Trump taking power, that if enough states legalized it, then there would come a “tipping point.” How many times have we talked about the tipping point?

But what if America doesn’t have the structural integrity to tip on a fulcrum? What if, instead of tipping, America snaps in two?

USA is strong. United, that is.

But a federation of independent states is weak. Ripe for plucking by gangster oligarchs like Putin, and Putin’s number one fan-boy, Traitor Trump. Maybe that’s how Putin figures into the the marijuana legalization issue?

• Dain Bramage says:

I have misused the word “America.” America is a continent, as in “South America.” I should have said “USA.”

The question should be: Does USA have the structural integrity to tip on a legalization fulcrum, or will it simply fracture?

• Dain Bramage says:

If USA fractures, what becomes of the marijuana legalization movement? Do we fracture as well? How many have we already lost under Traitor Trump — dedicated stoners and legalizers who aren’t white enough for Traitor Trump’s “America?”

5. Sean says:

Meanwhile Trump, again, is selling his hangman drug law solution to the opioid crisis, this past MOnday in New Hampshire. That’s bad enough. But to hear the audience cheer on Duterte/Hangman drug proposals is even more sick making. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-opioid-plan_us_5ab00ec2e4b0e862383a70bd

“Unchain the gate of solitude, the ruler says you run, Run hard into the scaffold, you’re chance to jump the gun….Oh how high the scaffold grows the plant life of your widow…” (Elton John/Bernie Taupin 1969

6. Janet says:

WE THE PEOPLE

We voted you respect it
      DEAL WITH REAL CRIME

7. Debbie Tuter says:

We need your help with the protection of medical marijuana for helping with Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, cancer, ptsd, tremors, autoammue diseases. Big Pharmaceutical owners are wanting to keep the American citizens from cures. Please keep the ill citizen healthier by protecting medical marijuana registry and dispensary.

8. Julian says:

Signed and sent.

Because writing and calling our Congressman to reform marijuana law is primarily what this website is for.

9. Richard G Butcher says:

Please don’t let Jeff Sessions beat us back to the 30s. I’m like you I am concerned with juvenile consumplion. It’s recognised that cannabis youse amoung young people may casus learning disabilities. However; alcohol abuse in Appalachia is a far greater threat and It’s leagel. When is the last time you heard of a frat boy dying of weed posining? Please see the light!

• Dain Bramage says:

RIchard G Butcher,
        I say you sure a fake and a Trump Troll.

The problem is not Jeff Sessions. The problem is Traitor Trump. Sessions is to Trump as shit is to asshole. If we get rid of Sessions without getting rid of Trump, then Trump will simply shit out another turd — one just as bad as Sessions. Like Scott Pruitt. Both of those turds stink like high holy hell. And Trump has a lot more shit where those two turds came from.

No, I think I understand your real concern. The only reason to get rid of Sessions, without getting rid of Trump, is to protect Traitor Trump from Robert Mueller.

I ain’t down with protecting Traitor Trump. Personally, I sincerely hope Robert Mueller nails Trump to the fucking wall. His wall, or any wall.

I will celebrate forever!