Join NORML in Aspen for a Taste of Freedom

• by Jenn Michelle Pedini, NORML Development Director May 11, 2018

NORML Aspen Legal Seminar

We’re just a few weeks away from NORML’s annual Aspen Legal Seminar at the beautiful Gant Hotel. We hope you’ll join us there to enjoy a taste of freedom and connect with professionals committed to establishing industry best practices that are consumer-friendly and promote social justice. Network with leading criminal defense and cannabusiness attorneys who’ll share expert advice in federal and state marijuana laws. Indulge in a delicious meal by critically acclaimed chef Chris Lanter of Cache Cache restaurant at the NORML Benefit Dinner hosted by Chris and Gerry Goldstein.

RESERVE YOUR SPACE TODAY

If you haven’t already, please take a moment to share the event with your networks.

Link to share: https://norml.org/about/events/aspen-legal-seminar

Sample language for attendees:

Join me in Colorado for NORML’s Aspen Legal Seminar. Get expert advice from the best and the brightest in cannabis law while enjoying the sweet taste of freedom. Attorneys earn CLEs. You don’t want to miss this!

General sample language:

NORML’s Aspen Legal Seminar is just a few weeks away. Get expert advice from the best and the brightest in cannabis law while enjoying the sweet taste of freedom. Attorneys earn CLEs. You don’t want to miss this!

NORML Aspen Legal Semnar

If you can’t join us this year, please consider a tax-deductible donation to the NORML Foundation in support of NORML’s work reforming marijuana laws. Click here to make a contribution.

As always, thank you for your continued support and dedication to NORML’s mission. Looking forward to seeing you in Aspen!

GET YOUR TICKETS HERE

18 responses to “Join NORML in Aspen for a Taste of Freedom”

1. TheOracle says:

Love to attend although I’m not a lawyer. Can’t afford to break away from my deadendshit job anyway, am looking forward to top shelf Mexican sativas in the U.S. soon. Vincente Fox has it right, the Mexican cannabis community should not have to fear the cartels or the government.

Sure would be nice if Pennsylvania had a cannabis super pac to speed adult retail up a helluva lot.

• Julian says:

Thanks for the link, Oracle. I too am exited abit the announcement of Vicente Fox as keymote speaker of the upcoming Cannabis Business Summit & Expo in Oakland. The link in your link didn’t work so here it is:

While we activists all wish we could attend every expo and business summit from Mexico City to Denver and Oakland, there is so much more we can do locally to further marijuana policies especially leading up to our midterm elections. The federal and international powers are swayed by our local policies and our local economies… what we purchase… being legally taxed or illegal marijuana. There was a time when purchasing illegal marijuana was the only way to keep any market alive. But now we have state legalized markets that we need to strengthen and support with the tenth and every amendment we have left.
        While we continue to save our hard earned dollars for national lobbying and cannitourism, lets remember a hen at the roost is worth two in the bush.
        (With that said, I’m still trying to change my plans to visit DC to two weeks later for NORML Lobby Day in July to corner Senators Cruz or Cornyn on hemp policy).

• Evening Bud says:

I would love to go too, but also can’t do it. Such beautiful country, Aspen. If I were a skier . . .

• Sean says:

Julian and Oracle, here’s some icing on your cake. Mexico’s front runner Lopez Obrador (AMLO) seems very open to cannabis legalization and to ending the insane war on drugs. https://herb.co/marijuana/news/will-amlo-legalize-cannabis-in-mexico

• Julian says:

Lopez Obrador has been trying to be prez of Mexico for 12 years now without much luck. While he openly supports marijuana legalization, he has some corrupt past to contend with when he was Governor of the State of Mexico and in his political party, AMLO.
          AMLO preceded PRI, the corrupt party that is currently represented by the unpopular President Penia-Nieto, but compared to AMLO, Mexicans will probably settle on another more popular PRI candidate, Jose Antonio Meade.

Meade supports marijuana and drug law reform:

“He also said the United States and Mexico needed to reach an agreement on anti-drugs cooperation that reflected the reality that laws in many U.S. states no longer match federal policy.

California this year became the sixth U.S. state, and by far the most populous, to allow the sale of recreational marijuana.

“An agreement that reflects consistency between U.S. federal and local policy is very important,” Meade said.”

• Julian says:

Obrador is a bad choice:
          Mexicans still recognize AMLO as corrupted by narco trafficking, even though it has shifted to the left. And even though AMLO shifted to the left, they represent conservative ideas like anti abortion and anti-American nationalist views that have inspired the interests of Russia:
          “Moscow likely views Lopez Obrador as a potential ally, based on his conservative stance on values issues like same-sex marriage and abortion and nationalist, anti-American rhetoric. By devoting propaganda resources to amlo, Moscow likely hopes to ensure that a divisive and anti-U.S. candidate wins the presidency, and that it can curry favor with him once he is in office. ”
          AMLO also supports Maduro, the horrific dictator of Venezuela who was recently caught snacking on state television while his country starves.
          While I like to consider myself a single-marijuana-reform-issue voter here in current US elections, I’m afraid it’s more complicated in Mexico. We’ll have to wait for further cues from Mexico’s Congress to legalize marijuana, and what happens economically between Mexico and Canada as Canada legalizes this summer. Ultimately, Mexico’s legalization of marijuana is dependent on the U.S. ending marijuana prohibition federally and the black markets WE create. Otherwise, even a great Mexican President like Vicente Fox would have his hands tied in office.
          In any case, for what it’s worth, I hope Meade wins.

• Sean says:

Julian, I love your posts, and I appreciate your perspective. I’m not saying AMLO is perfect, but I reject the characterizations about him being some sort Hugo Chavez of Mexico, or a Putin cut out. It’s all a bunch of black propaganda being served up by the neoliberal press. I don’t trust Meade. He’ll be more of the same and put Mexico on a neoliberal path to nowhere. I believe AMLO will stand up to Trump. Meade, I’m not so sure. Let’s agree to disagree on this one. Obviously the Mexican voters will be the judge of this. Cheers.

• Sean says:

Part #2 Reply: Julian, I confess that I was taken aback by your reply. It came to me unexpectedly as if I were a baby seal waiting for the bat. Here’s a sober and thoughtful link on Lopez Obrador from Foreign Policy Magazine http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/17/andres-manuel-lopez-obrador-is-no-hugo-chavez/

As for Maduro, I personally think that he is an unmitigated klutz. That said, if Obrador gets along with Maduro, maybe Obrador can reach Maduro in a contructive manner. That’s a hell of a lot better than America’s fetish for imposing regime change which I will not stand for. I think Americans have grown to desistized to regime change. They feel like they are entitled to overthrow any government they don’t like. Democrats like Shumer and Feinstein and Republicans like McCain and Graham are prime examples of their fetish for regime change. BTW, not all leftist governments are failures. Evo Morales’s Bolivia has been a stunning success, but the neoliberal press won’t say a damn thing about it. I’m irritated (but not surprided) that Americans are being fed a bunch of baloney about Obrador. Julian, I honor your contributions to Cannabis reform, you are one of the best and the brightest. But frankly, I’m royally disappointed with your response, but to each his own I guess.

• Sean says:

*too desensitized

• Julian says:

Sean,
              I Always appreciate an open minded comment that cites their sources, especially when it contradicts my own perspective. That is education.

With that said, allow me to reveal that my perspective comes vicariously from my father-in-law in Mexico who follows politics closely there and remembers the corruption from each candidate personally.
              I am also deeply influenced by the tragic reality I mentioned in my previous post that Mexico and LATAM drug policies are deeply dependent on the drug policies of the United States and the UN drug conventions. There is an inherent disconnect between the US public attitudes on foreign policy, the pathetically small number of Americans who actually vote and what they think about foreign policy, then the DOJ who has consistently gone around topling Democratically elected leaders throughout LATAM and the world since the CIA was founded after WWII. This is how Trump gets away with unconstitutionally separating familes by blaming Central American Drug War Refugees from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala for violence our DOJ created since the CIA assassinated a Democratically elected President in Guatemala during the 50’s and continues to create civil wars and political violence through the CSAct. Again, a civil war is being waged in the US by corporate anarchists like the Koch brothers, Defense Contractors from Eric Prince to Northrup Grummand and through AG Jeff Sessions with help from pharmaceutical conglamorates that have no allegiance to US sovereignty; just to bait and switch poor people into voting against their own interests or not vote at all.

So you see how it gets complicated when we look both at what the candidates have personally done as well as which corporations/cartels donate to them and the surrogates/narcos that sponsor them. There are emoluments even bigger than marijuana reform, Sean. Let’s keep our eyes on Congress.

• Julian says:

A President is most important and influential as a role model. That’s a scary thought considering what we have in the oval office. Some of the most attrotious violations of our civil rights and our Constitution occurred under Presidents that disobeyed the Supreme Court and did what they wanted, much like any domestic terrorist, just to see who would stop their hateful vengeance. Andrew Jackson killing a third of the Cherokee Nation on the Trail of Tears despite our Supreme Court declaring the Indian Removal Act unconstitutional comes to mind. We should expect no less from Trump when SCOTUS rightfully declares he should obey a subpoena. After Trump pardons himself, I find it hard to believe we can get %50 of Texans to show up to the polls from the pathetic %11 that showed up to the primaries.

But that’s the point of foreign advasaries, isn’t it? It’s not so much to see how many votes can the Russians fraud or steal… hell, between the Republican Crosscheck Program and us simply not voting we do a good enough job of ruining Democracy on our own… no, it’s all about ruining our faith in our Democratic Republic and not participating in the legislative process at all.
              And when Obrador or any presidential candidate attacks those virtues, we should all see red flags coming from the Kremlin.

• Sean says:

Julian, I apologize for saying that I was disappointed. That was a bad choice of words on my part. You really didn’t disappoint me, you educated me by giving me another perspective, and I should be thankful. It would be a boring world if everyone agreed with me 24/7. But you and I can both agree that the situation in Mexico is complex.

2. ancient james says:

Happy are those who are attending to the ultimate unenslavements of mankind. In what other universe would the most beneficial and harmless of natural medicines be outlawed?

3. Matt says:

sounds delicious, all expos rock, wish I could attend, maybe MI will have her first soon! Can’t wait! 😀 Detroit in June CannaBiz event, tho! Have fun! Remember Denver… food, wine, women, art, weed, and intelligent conversation. Bong Appetit! legalize, and to the future! 🙂