• by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive Director January 9, 2013

Last week, state Senator from Montgomery County Daylin Leach announced his intentions to file legislation that would legalize the adult use of marijuana, in a way similar to the laws recently approved in Colorado and Washington.

“I acknowledge that it may take a while, but like same-sex marriage,” stated Sen. Leach, “this will inevitably happen. Demographics and exposure will in time defeat irrational fears, old wives tales and bad science. This bill furthers the discussion, which hastens the day.”

This legislation, if approved, would help halt the arrest of thousands of Pennsylvanians annually. Since 2006, 24,685 arrests were made for just marijuana possession at a cost of over 300 million dollars to the state’s taxpayers.

“It is time for Pennsylvania to be a leader in jettisoning this modern-day prohibition, and ending a policy that has been so destructive, costly, and anti-scientific,” Sen. Leach declared.

Pennsylvania has long been considered a bellwether state, so to see the issue at least being entertained in the state legislature can only be a positive sign of things to come. Let’s hope other elected officials in Pennsylvania join with state Senator Leach to support these sensible reforms.

If NORML’s Take Action Center is anything to go by, the citizens of the Keystone State want it. In just the first 24 hours of going live, Pennsylvanians sent over 900 emails and letters to their elected officials urging them to support this legislation.

If you live in Pennsylvania and want to join in the call for marijuana legalization, simply click here and you can easily send a prewritten email or letter to your elected officials telling them it is time to support legislation to legalize and regulate marijuana, not criminalize it.

PENNSYLVANIANS: Click here to contact your representatives in favor of this bill today!

Don’t live in Pennsylvania? There is already marijuana reform legislation filed in ten other states, with many more sure to follow in the coming days. Be sure to keep checking NORML’s Take Action Center to see if your state is one of them and to contact your officials!

Together, we can NORMLIZE CONGRESS. Together, we will legalize marijuana.

143 responses to “Pennsylvania State Senator Prefiles Marijuana Legalization Bill, Pennsylvanians Approve”

1. Juanita, Great idea. Contact the NORML closest to you and help them set up speaking engagements like the ones you mentioned. Most local chapters that don’t have to spend to much on travel will most likely send a speaker if you ask them.

2. John McClane says:

write some editorials all. Also, email reps. Juniata, why not bring in someone like Judge Napolitano? Maybe Gary Johnson?

3. St. Nick says:

I just signed a fucking email for pennsylvanians only and it went to a fucking guy who lives in my town and now knows where I live. Thanks a bunch. I’m never signing anything again, that’s if I’m free to express my opion next time

[Editor’s note: Elected policy makers don’t turn in their constituents who lobby them to end cannabis prohibition. There is no logical reason why you should be paranoid about doing what it actually takes to reform the laws — being politically active.

Lastly, elected officials often tell NORML’s lobbyists that they will not support law reforms unless they hear from more of their constituents who want it too.

Cannabis consumers and activists can’t contact their elected officials enough on this important subject matter!]

4. Cat Cassie says:

Good for you PA. Don’t whimp out like Oregon did.

5. Suriken says:

Awesome! Now that we’re surrounded maybe New york will hop on the bandwagon.

6. TheOracle says:

Yeah, and the reaction to that was in Tuesday, January 8th’s Lancaster County newspaper. The local politicians pooh-poohed it. A few, however, did say that they would consider voting for a medical marijuana bill. Professor G. Terry Madonna, a political pollster, said that although the public supported medical marijuana with an 80% approval rating, they did not support outright legalization in the state. Outright legalization was low. I want to say 3%, but I don’t have the article in front of me.

Can we get polls for outright legalization in Pennsylvania that are a true indicator of public opinion on outright legalization in the state? The average of a group of polls instead of just this one that Professor Madonna was using. I don’t think the article mentioned where Dr. Madonna got his percentage.

I did the Action Center thing, but I already know the politicians who claim to represent me will not be voting for it. They won’t be voting for MMJ is PA either.

One is going to have to throw better polling data at them, and you’re going to have to give them data and statistics that includes how much the state could realize in savings and how much estimated revenue it stands to realize.

As I have ranted in the past, Pennsylvania is a corrupt state, with the marijuana distribution routes having been long established. The people who are currently making money off it illegally do not appear to want to come forward to make money off it legally. They’re either not going to come out of the closet before it is safe, or they’re not afraid of the big bad federal government monster but rather are afraid of the legal competition, probably put a lot of Mexican cartel distribution channels out of business.

The states need the jobs and the money.

Keep running the economy into the ground until cannabis is legalized.

7. Dave says:

St Nick, if you don’t tell your reps what you want, how will they know? Of course, they don’t want to have to listen to people from CA, which would be a waster of theirs and your time, they need to know you live in their district or they have no reason to listen to you.

8. St. Nick says:

Jesus, sorry. The guy lives down my block and I wasn’t expecting it to go to him. The thought of not smoking at all since it’s illegal and no more freedom to go through my guys? Yeah, I was nervous. Oh, plus I have paranoid schizophrenia. Sorry.
      Anyway, I don’t feel bad from it. I’m just glad you said what you said instead of just ignoring it. Sorry for spewing negative bs… I will not do that again. Easily done.

9. […] are links provided for the 10 states before PE in the second link. Pennsylvania is the latest:PA State Senator Prefiles Marijuana Legalization Bill | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform The rest are listed here:Marijuana Law Reform Heating Up at the State Level in 2013 | NORML Blog, […]

10. Jim Rogers says:

There is only one way to stimulate this extremely sluggish economy,guaranteed,and we all know what that is. Scientists know it, economists know it, doctors know it, and everyone on the street knows it, even a large number of politicians know it(but they won’t admit it.
      Then can someone Please tell me why we still live by these harmful laws established by fear and greed. We really don’t need someone telling us what is good, and what is not, when it comes cannabis and hemp,the evidence and science speaks for itself.
      It’s time for politicians to s@@t and get off the pot.