Indiana: Latest Red State To Go ‘Green’

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director December 9, 2013

A majority of Indiana residents believe that marijuana should be legally regulated like alcohol and nearly 80 percent of Hoosiers support taxing it, according to recently released statewide polling data released by the Bowen Center for Public Affairs at Ball State University.

Fifty-two percent of respondents said that cannabis “should be regulated like alcohol.” Forty-five percent of respondents opposed legalization. Among self-identified Democrats, 64 percent of respondents backed regulation. Forty-nine percent of self-identified Republicans did so.

Hoosiers support for taxing cannabis was even stronger. Seventy-eight percent of respondents, including strong majorities of both major political parties, answered ‘yes’ to the question, “Should we tax marijuana like alcohol/cigarettes?” Only 19 percent of respondents opposed the idea.

Under present state law, first-time marijuana possession offenses of under 30 grams are punishable by up to one-year in jail and a $5,000 fine. Subsequent offenses are classified as felonies, punishable by up to 3 years incarceration.

Six hundred randomly selected Indiana residents participated in the survey, which has a margin of error of +/- 4.8 percent.

The Indiana poll is the latest to show growing support for marijuana law reform among so-called ‘Red State’ voters. Recent statewide surveys in Arizona, Louisiana, and Texas have similarly shown majority support for legalization.

According to an October 2013 nationwide Gallup poll, 58 percent of Americans believe that marijuana should be legal, an all-time high.

37 responses to “Indiana: Latest Red State To Go ‘Green’”

1. Dakota says:

How much do they charge(tax) you if you just want grow your own in a legal state?

2. Daveishere says:

@stanleyj i completely agree these are potential allies not enemies if we can change minds and hearts and win over the people with kindness we stand a much better chance

3. stanleyj says:

dax,

Democrats have the Senate and the White House….come on…they could do something if they really wanted to do it.
      Obama has said that he would NOT be in favor of outright legalization.
      I think that there is no difference in Parties. Both are only interested in enriching their friends with crony capitalism. K street has more of a voice in Washington that the people do. The rest of us are just under their thumb…..and I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore. I’m exploring the Libertarian party.

4. George Washingstoned says:

Talk to your friends about moving this issue ahead. More importantly though is to talk to your neighbors, co-workers, and others about the facts and common sense behind legalization. The more this conversation becomes public, the less TABOO it becomes and the more seriously we will be considered.

5. Anonymous says:

Sadly the poll results mean little for at least some years. The powers in the state just went the opposite way giving stiffer penalties towards marijuana. NORML’s lack of coverage of it was a little disappointing, but that is a side topic.

Marijuana lobbying in general seems very weak in Indiana. Private prison lobby has a much stronger presence and it shows with the legislative changes within the past year in Indiana. Sad times to continue in that state.

6. mexweed says:

@stanleyj raises the right question, and the answer is: eliminate the “joint”, “blunt” and other H-ot B-urning O-verdose M-onoxide “smoking” habits that give our herb a bad name. There are millions of those who hate $igarettes, number one cause of preventable death on the planet, but see pictures of “joints” and think cannabis is just another $igarette.

Go to Wikipedia, “Cannabis smoking” and see the picture of a Moroccan SEBSI (a long-stemmed one-hitter) which, equipped with a screen, makes possible 25-mg single tokes (dosage regulation). Read and contribute to the wikiHow.com article, “12 Ways to Make Smoke Pipes from Everyday Objects”. Everyone on the planet can help win support for safe rational cannabis management.

7. Ray Walker says:

Without being able to wait any longer my family and I recently moved away from this beautiful state for medical reasons. In California where medical cannabis is well excepted it is a safe place but it is not home. I understand what it now feels like to be a refugee in my own country. It would be the greatest thing to be able to go home one day before I die and not be treated like a criminal or hunted like a terrorist.
      Cannabis use in Indiana has always been widespread. All my life I’ve been surrounded by people that believe cannabis should be legal. They’re now just getting the courage to speak up about legalization. I put my name on my post these days only because I know I can’t be harassed by the law. Myself and many others fear greatly what an arrest would do to the security of our families. This is a cruel and unforgivable blackmail that our government imposes upon us. Also not something I or my family will ever forget. This is precisely what turns a people against its leaders thus dividing them for generations to come.

I think that it’s great that Indiana is moving forward in the right direction. It’s good to see the support I give find its way to forwarding change.

DIRE STRAITS
      “Brothers in Arms”

These mist-covered mountains
      Are a home now for me
      But my home is the lowlands
      And always will be
      Some day you’ll return to
      Your valleys and your farms
      And you’ll no longer burn
      To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
      Baptisms of fire
      I’ve witnessed your suffering
      As the battle raged high
      And though they did hurt me so bad
      In the fear and alarm
      You did not desert me
      My brothers in arms

There’s so many different worlds
      So many different suns
      And we have just one world
      But we live in different ones

Now the sun’s gone to hell
      And the moon riding high
      Let me bid you farewell
      Every man has to die
      But it’s written in the starlight
      And every line in your palm
      We’re fools to make war
      On our brothers in arms

8. Not me says:

The only polls that matter are the voter polls. I’ll believe it when I see it. I think your more likely to see some relaxation on the severity of punishment on lower level cannabis charges.

Personally, I’d like to see a greater push for industrial hemp.

Considering Eli Lilly is based in Indianapolis, and regarded as the largest Pharmaceutical researcher of cannabis; you’d think the debate would have come sooner.

9. SWIM says:

This is great news! Hopefully the law makers will get on the bandwagon with the will of the voters and make some positive changes. Majority support means nothing if our legislators refuse to do anything about it. Senator Tallian is the only one I know of who is actually doing something to make laws that represent the Marijuana Majority.

10. Galileo Galilei says:

This red/green stuff is very good news. We must have conservatives with us or they’ll torpedo any attempts at reform.